Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Operation Mongoose  (Read 15147 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: Operation Mongoose
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2020, 07:52:32 PM »
Advertisement
I have the opinion that LHO was a frequent liar.

Perhaps you could be right.... But I don't think so....   Not that Lee didn't lie....He most certainly did...That's the hallmark of a intel agent.   And Lee was a spy.

However, he didn't lie like a tall tale spewing Texan......

And Lee was a spy.

Yeah, kind of like he was the secretary of the New Orleans chapter of the FPCC...

I think that Marguerite also said that she thought LHO was a spy. So you are in “good company.”

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2020, 07:52:32 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2020, 09:46:00 PM »

And Lee was a spy.

Yeah, kind of like he was the secretary of the New Orleans chapter of the FPCC...

I think that Marguerite also said that she thought LHO was a spy. So you are in “good company.”

Unless you have no imagination at ( as is common with many LNer's ) you'd have to blind not to recognize that Lee was a intell agent.....He was with the State Dep't when he took the mission to the USSR....and I'm not sure who he was working for when he returned to the US....( I suspect that he was working for RFK ) But he thought that he was working for the FBI, and he saw no conflict, because he didn't know about the bad blood between Hoover and the Snot Nosed Brats ( the Kennedy's)

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2020, 12:58:46 AM »
Unless you have no imagination at ( as is common with many LNer's ) you'd have to blind not to recognize that Lee was a intell agent.....He was with the State Dep't when he took the mission to the USSR....and I'm not sure who he was working for when he returned to the US....( I suspect that he was working for RFK ) But he thought that he was working for the FBI, and he saw no conflict, because he didn't know about the bad blood between Hoover and the Snot Nosed Brats ( the Kennedy's)

Marguerite had an imagination.

John Pic, Lee’s half-brother, took a particularly cynical view toward his mother's behavior after the assassination. "It is my own opinion that she is out right now to make as much money as she can on her relationship with Lee Harvey Oswald," he told the Warren Commission. "That is the only thing—I don't really believe she really believes he is innocent. I think she is out to make money than if she has to say he is guilty. I think she is a phony in the whole deal."

With several months to reflect after the President's assassination and her husband's death, Marina's views had hardened. "I do not think that she is a very sound thinking woman, and I think that part of the guilt is hers," she told the Warren Commission. "I do not accuse her, but I think that part of the guilt in connection with what happened with Lee lies with her because he did not perhaps receive the education he should have during his childhood, and he did not have any correct leadership on her part—guidance. If she were in contact with my children now—I do not want her to cripple them."

Marina kept to her word—after the days surrounding the assassination, neither June nor Rachel was ever allowed to see their grandmother again...

... There was no expression of remorse, no regret, only an unceasing drive to carry on, fight on, despite the abandonment of her family and friends. Her combative attitude never wavered. “I know some who wouldn’t hesitate to try to make a mental case out of me,” she told interviewer Jean Stafford. “Believe me, if anybody’s in their right mind, it’s Mrs. Margeurite Oswald.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/when-lee-harvey-oswald-shot-president-his-mother-tried-take-center-stage-180953351/

Quite frankly, I am thankful that I don’t have an imagination that is anything like Marguerite’s!

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2020, 12:58:46 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2020, 06:10:30 PM »

Marguerite had an imagination.

John Pic, Lee’s half-brother, took a particularly cynical view toward his mother's behavior after the assassination. "It is my own opinion that she is out right now to make as much money as she can on her relationship with Lee Harvey Oswald," he told the Warren Commission. "That is the only thing—I don't really believe she really believes he is innocent. I think she is out to make money than if she has to say he is guilty. I think she is a phony in the whole deal."

With several months to reflect after the President's assassination and her husband's death, Marina's views had hardened. "I do not think that she is a very sound thinking woman, and I think that part of the guilt is hers," she told the Warren Commission. "I do not accuse her, but I think that part of the guilt in connection with what happened with Lee lies with her because he did not perhaps receive the education he should have during his childhood, and he did not have any correct leadership on her part—guidance. If she were in contact with my children now—I do not want her to cripple them."

Marina kept to her word—after the days surrounding the assassination, neither June nor Rachel was ever allowed to see their grandmother again...

... There was no expression of remorse, no regret, only an unceasing drive to carry on, fight on, despite the abandonment of her family and friends. Her combative attitude never wavered. “I know some who wouldn’t hesitate to try to make a mental case out of me,” she told interviewer Jean Stafford. “Believe me, if anybody’s in their right mind, it’s Mrs. Margeurite Oswald.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/when-lee-harvey-oswald-shot-president-his-mother-tried-take-center-stage-180953351/

Quite frankly, I am thankful that I don’t have an imagination that is anything like Marguerite’s!

Once again we sing in harmony.....There's little NO doubt that Mama Oswald was a mental case......

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2020, 06:17:54 PM »
Okay, I have read the letter and here are my opinions:

1. You have already brought up the "real name" item. I don't have any further comment about that one.

2. The I and Marina ... are now living in Dallas, TX sentence is possibly something that Gus Russo considers a technical lie (or at least misleading). Since the two were married, Lee's sentence implies that they were living together. They were not, and Marina was technically not living in Dallas but in Irving, TX (yes, I know it is a suburb of Dallas). Personally, I don't consider this to be of much significance and I doubt that Gus Russo does either. But it is typical of LHO's propensity to not tell the truth and I think it is possibly one item that Gus would point out if he were responding to your question.

3. The sentence in which LHO indicates he was secretary of the FPCC in New Orleans is also something that I believe Gus Russo would point to in response to your question. I haven't seen any evidence that suggests that there were any other FPCC members in New Orleans besides LHO. It appears to me that LHO at least exaggerated when he described himself (as secretary) and I believe that most people would probably consider that a lie. Also, I cannot believe that LHO actually knew whether or not the FBI was interested in his FPCC activities or not. So that would also be an item that I believe Gus Russo would point to in response to your question.

4. The sentence regarding the November 1st visit by Hosty to the Paine residence states that Hosty visited us and warned LHO about participating in FPCC activities in Dallas. Hosty didn't even see LHO on that visit because he wasn't there (so the "visited us" is not accurate, he visited Marina and Ruth but not LHO). And neither Ruth Paine or Marina have said anything about Hosty warning anybody about FPCC activities. So there are two items that I believe Gus would point to in response to your question.

5. The sentence regarding Hosty suggesting Marina could defect from the Soviet Union appears to me to be a lie. I haven't seen any evidence that would support this, what I have seen simply indicates that Hosty assured Marina and Ruth that he was only gathering information. I also haven't seen any evidence that would support LHO's claim that he and his wife strongly protested the alleged tactics by the FBI. The mysterious note LHO allegedly left at the FBI's office might have contained a protest. But was this letter written before the alleged note was delivered? And I haven't seen any evidence that suggests that Marina even knew about the alleged note, so how could she have been a part of a strong protest? These are items that I believe Gus would point to in response to your question.

Charles, could you post a good copy of the letter? ( or a link to it)

And let's start by trying to determine WHO  Lee was sending the information to......   It is common knowledge that the letter was addressed to the Russian embassy in Washington DC.   But .....  was the information in the letter intended for the eyes of the FBI ?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2020, 06:17:54 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2020, 07:19:42 PM »

Charles, could you post a good copy of the letter? ( or a link to it)

And let's start by trying to determine WHO  Lee was sending the information to......   It is common knowledge that the letter was addressed to the Russian embassy in Washington DC.   But .....  was the information in the letter intended for the eyes of the FBI ?

This is a link to the handwritten rough draft that Gus Russo referenced in his comments. Click on the arrow to navigate to the second page of this draft (page 444). The typewritten letter that was actually sent might have a few revisions, I haven't compared them.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1133#relPageId=467&tab=page

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »
This is a link to the handwritten rough draft that Gus Russo referenced in his comments. Click on the arrow to navigate to the second page of this draft (page 444). The typewritten letter that was actually sent might have a few revisions, I haven't compared them.

"The FBI is not now interested in my activities in the progressive organization, the FPCC of which I was secretary in New Orleans Louisiana, since I no longer live in that state. "

Would the USSR give a grunt if the FBI was  ( or was not) interested in Lee's activities in the Fair Play For Cuba Committee ??

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2020, 12:49:18 AM »
"The FBI is not now interested in my activities in the progressive organization, the FPCC of which I was secretary in New Orleans Louisiana, since I no longer live in that state. "

Would the USSR give a grunt if the FBI was  ( or was not) interested in Lee's activities in the Fair Play For Cuba Committee ??

Another quote from Russo’s book “Live by the Sword”:

It has been posited that Howard obtained her information about the plots from either Lechuga, at the cocktail party mentioned earlier, or from Castro himself. Either is plausible. Recall that Lechuga was the alleged recipient of the letters of Fernando Fernandez, who had penetrated the exile operations in New Orleans. Fernandez admitted to the FBI that Lechuga ran a pro-Castro terrorist network, adding, “The subversive and espionage activities are directed by the Cuban ambassadors in the United Nations and in Brazil.”17 This assertion seems valid when one takes into account the arrest one year earlier of a pro-Castro terrorist cell operating in New York City. The three arrestees possessed huge quantities of explosives they intended to use against large department stores such as Macy’s, Gimbel’s, and Bloomingdale’s when the stores were clogged with Christmas shoppers. One of the terrorists was an aide to Lechuga, while another traveled to New York with Cuban President Osvaldo Dorticos, a friend of Rolando Cubela (AM/LASH). Even more disturbing, these terrorists belonged to the Fair Play for Cuba Committee, of which Lee Oswald claimed to be a member, and with whom he maintained a continuing correspondence.18 Also of note is the fact that Lechuga had an affair with none other than Sylvia Duran, who admitted—to a CIA plant in the Cuban Embassy—to being Lee Oswald’s Mexican lover as well.19