Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Trump supporters and conspiracy theory - Part 2  (Read 337452 times)

Offline Joe Elliott

Re: Trump supporters and conspiracy theory - Part 2
« Reply #3168 on: January 05, 2021, 10:33:02 AM »
Advertisement

Nightmare scenario for January 6:

Mike Pence:  And the winner is . . . La La Land.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #3168 on: January 05, 2021, 10:33:02 AM »

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #3169 on: January 05, 2021, 11:05:10 AM »

As for vaccines the real game changer appears to be the Oxford version. It is at least 10x cheaper than Pfizer and Moderna and requires simple refrigeration for storage. It seems that the USA has not jumped on this version for some reason and your roll out has been lacking so far. There appears in the UK that they feel a single dose followed by a longer followup time is the way to go. They feel this will give increased coverage to more of the population. Just a single dose of Oxford afforded good protection in that no one in the trial group were hospitalised after just one dose.

The problem seems to be that the company that developed the Oxford version, AstraZeneca, had never developed a vaccine before and made a couple of miss steps in their testing. Somehow, some of the test subjects only received half dozes for their first of two vaccinations. And when one or two people developed unusual symptoms, which were almost certainly not related to the vaccine, a common occurrence when testing with thousands of subjects, the company did not report on this immediately, as they should have done. As a result, the FDA is delaying approval in the U. S. for months.

If it was up to me, I would take the AstraZeneca vaccine right now. I don’t care it’s only a reported 70% effective, as opposed to the 94 to 95 % effectiveness of the Pfizer and Modera vaccines. I think that the FDA is being too cautious which is not warranted under the current circumstances. The AstraZeneca inexperience with running vaccine trials, combined with bad decision making by the company executives, combined with the FDA’s extreme “all the i’s must be dotted and the t’s crossed” is going to cost thousands of lives in the United States. Along with the relaxed attitude common among many Americans about social gatherings, partly due to the poor leadership of Trump.

Also, the hospitals are so extremely slow in giving out the vaccines, it wouldn’t matter if the companies were delivering one hundred million doses a day, the rate of vaccination would still be 100,000 to 500,000 vaccinations a day, which is way too slow. Hopefully, we will see a big speed up this week and is sustained. Trump is clearly too preoccupied with other matters to really look into this and finding out what the Federal government can do to help the individual states get up to speed. We need to get more clinics up and running. And if we run low on vaccines for a week or two, we can’t shut down these extra clinics so when the next batch does come in, we are ready to vaccine at a high rate, and not have to spend a week or two getting up to speed again. With have to keep these clinics going, and continue to pay the trained personal full time, even if at times they have nothing to do. We can’t be pennywise, dollar foolish.

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #3170 on: January 05, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »

From Trump’s January fourth speech in Georgia:

But he returned again and again to his own election, attacking Mr. Raffensperger and Gov. Brian Kemp, a Republican, saying: “They say they are Republicans. I really don’t think so. They can’t be.” The president also vowed that he would “be here in a year and a half campaigning against your governor — I guarantee you that.”

Hopefully Trump will be doing that from within a Georgia prison. Well, one can hope.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #3170 on: January 05, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #3171 on: January 05, 2021, 12:17:19 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-shared-the-wrong-number-for-a-michigan-lawmaker-a-28-year-old-has-gotten-thousands-of-angry-calls/ar-BB1ctP9r?ocid=msedgdhp

Trump shared the wrong number for a Michigan lawmaker. A 28-year-old has gotten thousands of angry calls.

A 28-year-old Michigan native was napping on Sunday when they were suddenly awakened by a barrage of rings, pings and buzzes coming from their cellphone.

“I was scared,” said O Rose, who uses they/them pronouns and asked to withhold their full first name for safety reasons. “I thought I got doxed.”

In a way, Rose was doxed — but not purposefully. The source was the Trump campaign, which shared her number with 4.6 million followers on Twitter and Facebook.

On Sunday, the campaign asked supporters to call two Michigan state lawmakers and demand a vote to decertify President-elect Joe Biden’s victory in a state he won by more than 150,000 votes. The campaign posted numbers and emails for Michigan State Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey (R) and former Michigan House speaker Lee Chatfield (R).

Not only did the post, which President Trump also reshared to more than 35 million followers on his own Facebook page, falsely identify Chatfield as the current speaker, it also gave the wrong number for the former lawmaker.

Instead, that number belongs to Rose.

This train wreck, like the one in the movie “The Fugitive” just seems to keep going and going.

So, if you suddenly get hundreds of calls demanding that you decertify the Electoral Slate for Pennsylvania, don’t try to explain things to the callers, just put a message on your voice mail that you are aware of the problem and you are working to decertify the slate at Warp Speed. You can ask for their prayers to help with your effort. And maybe refer them to a “Go Fund Me” website if they would like to lend material support to your effort. Hey, when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:12:41 PM by Joe Elliott »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #3172 on: January 05, 2021, 12:28:15 PM »

Offline Andrew Mason

• SPMLaw
« Reply #3173 on: January 05, 2021, 06:46:56 PM »
Question:

If a powerful corrupt politician calls an election official, and explains to him that he knows he lost the election. But he doesn’t care. He wants to win. So that election better “find him” the votes he needs to win. Otherwise, he is subject to criminal prosecution.

Is this acceptable?

If not, does it become acceptable so long as the politician always expresses the belief that he was the true winner?

And why would it be better to have the election decided by a special commission, as Senator Ted Cruz and others want, if that special commission can be subjected to threats of criminal prosecution if they fail to find that Trump was the true winner? Even if Trump is removed from office, he might still have enough clout in a state to get a criminal prosecution rolling. Why is this better than the current results we have now which, I believe, were conducted by honest officials not being threatened by criminal prosecution if he was determined that the voters voted for the wrong guy?
The election has to be decided by votes.  Officials just ensure that ballots are counted properly (all of the ballots lawfully cast).

In Canada we have a parliamentary system so we elect members of parliament who sit in the House of Commons.  We have mandatory judicial recounts if the winning margin is less than 1/1000th of the votes cast. Anyone may apply to a judge for a recount if there is evidence of incorrect counting or adding of votes or incorrect rejection of ballots or an incorrect return. Representatives of all parties are able to be present.   But it is still just a recount. The judge does not have the power to decide who won if, in the end, the votes do not add up in a candidate's favour.

Offline Andrew Mason

• SPMLaw
« Reply #3174 on: January 05, 2021, 07:41:38 PM »
From Trump’s January fourth speech in Georgia:

Hopefully Trump will be doing that from within a Georgia prison. Well, one can hope.
I can't imagine why Trump would not be charged at least with attempt to interfere in a state vote count.  If our Prime Minister did anything close to this, there would be immediate political and legal consequences.  In Canada, no one has immunity from being charged criminally.  And political consequences can be very swift.  This conduct would almost certainly result in the PM's immediate resignation or the immediate defeat of the government, or both. 

Federal elections in Canada are run by an independent agency, Elections Canada.  The agency's operations are overseen by the Chief Electoral Officer of Canada (CEOC) who is appointed by Parliament. The provinces have no role to play in federal elections.  The Commissioner of Canada Elections is an official appointed by the CEOC to actually administer the elections according to the Canada Elections Act. Neither Parliament nor the government has any say in approving the election results or in deciding who won.  That is all done by officials carrying out the Canada Elections Act and subject to judicial recounts.  Judicial review is available to ensure that officials act according to law, but election related legal actions are extremely rare.

In Canada's parliamentary system, the Prime Minister is not elected directly.  The leader of the party with the most seats in the House of Commons becomes the PM and forms a government.  That government will fall if the House of Commons passes a motion of non-confidence in the government.  The closest Canadian equivalent to Trump calling the Georgia Secretary of State and asking him to find another 11,780 votes would be the PM of Canada calling up the CEOC and asking him to find more votes for particular candidates.

The current governing Liberal party does not have a majority of seats (we have 3 major national parties and a regional party based in Quebec) so it would not likely survive a non-confidence vote if the PM did something like Trump's phone call. 

Constitutional differences between US and Canada

Under Canada's written constitution, every citizen has the right to vote in provincial and federal elections. The US constitution does not provide an equivalent right.  The U.S. constitution provides that state legislatures, not citizens, choose electors to the Electoral College.  So denial of citizens the right to vote (e.g. because they are convicted felons, or because they have to wait 12 hours in a lineup to vote, or because someone decided that they no longer deserve to be on the voters list) is not a denial of a constitutional right in the U.S., it seems.

The existing constitutional framework in the U.S. does not work unless Congress is committed to upholding it.   The checks and balances that were touted when Nixon was forced to resigned only work if you have a congress and an electorate that is willing to hold the President accountable. That was the case in 1974.  Sadly, it is no longer.

It seems to me that some constitutional amendments in the U.S. would be in order.  While you are at it, you might want to do something with the second amendment to make it clear that it does not give citizens the right to own bazookas and tanks or invade legislature buildings and attack their governments. I have never been able to understand why anyone in a democracy thinks they need a clause in the constitution that allows them to overthrow an elected government by force.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:32:35 PM by Andrew Mason »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #3174 on: January 05, 2021, 07:41:38 PM »

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #3175 on: January 05, 2021, 11:41:55 PM »

I can't imagine why Trump would not be charged at least with attempt to interfere in a state vote count.  If our Prime Minister did anything close to this, there would be immediate political and legal consequences.  In Canada, no one has immunity from being charged criminally.  And political consequences can be very swift.  This conduct would almost certainly result in the PM's immediate resignation or the immediate defeat of the government, or both. 

Federal elections in Canada are run by an independent agency, Elections Canada.  The agency's operations are overseen by the Chief Electoral Officer of Canada (CEOC) who is appointed by Parliament. The provinces have no role to play in federal elections.  The Commissioner of Canada Elections is an official appointed by the CEOC to actually administer the elections according to the Canada Elections Act. Neither Parliament nor the government has any say in approving the election results or in deciding who won.  That is all done by officials carrying out the Canada Elections Act and subject to judicial recounts.  Judicial review is available to ensure that officials act according to law, but election related legal actions are extremely rare.

In Canada's parliamentary system, the Prime Minister is not elected directly.  The leader of the party with the most seats in the House of Commons becomes the PM and forms a government.  That government will fall if the House of Commons passes a motion of non-confidence in the government.  The closest Canadian equivalent to Trump calling the Georgia Secretary of State and asking him to find another 11,780 votes would be the PM of Canada calling up the CEOC and asking him to find more votes for particular candidates.

The current governing Liberal party does not have a majority of seats (we have 3 major national parties and a regional party based in Quebec) so it would not likely survive a non-confidence vote if the PM did something like Trump's phone call. 

Constitutional differences between US and Canada

Under Canada's written constitution, every citizen has the right to vote in provincial and federal elections. The US constitution does not provide an equivalent right.  The U.S. constitution provides that state legislatures, not citizens, choose electors to the Electoral College.  So denial of citizens the right to vote (e.g. because they are convicted felons, or because they have to wait 12 hours in a lineup to vote, or because someone decided that they no longer deserve to be on the voters list) is not a denial of a constitutional right in the U.S., it seems.

The existing constitutional framework in the U.S. does not work unless Congress is committed to upholding it.   The checks and balances that were touted when Nixon was forced to resigned only work if you have a congress and an electorate that is willing to hold the President accountable. That was the case in 1974.  Sadly, it is no longer.

It seems to me that some constitutional amendments in the U.S. would be in order.  While you are at it, you might want to do something with the second amendment to make it clear that it does not give citizens the right to own bazookas and tanks or invade legislature buildings and attack their governments. I have never been able to understand why anyone in a democracy thinks they need a clause in the constitution that allows them to overthrow an elected government by force.

Nothing here I disagree with.

It looks to me that Canada is very similar to Great Britain. The Prime Minister is not directly elected but is determined by the party, or coalition of parties, who have over 50%. This seems like a good system.

I like the British and Canadian system a lot because you can form a small party and have a chance of being part of the main government. In America, you have to be either in the Democratic or the Republican party. It sort of works, because parties do change over time, but the British system sounds more natural.

Question:

In Canada, what happens if no party by itself has 50%, and the parties refuse to make an agreement with the others to form a coalition? I get the impression that in Great Britain, the Queen would put moral pressure on them to come to an agreement. What would happen in Canada?

The United States was the earliest true democracy, though it took a while for voting rights to be pretty universal, at least for white males. But even that took a while. But we formed a rigid Constitution, to insure basic rights. It may be that the British and Canadian system to trust the parliament, allowing more liberal policies to more easily come into place, may be the superior system. America was tardy in giving blacks the vote, giving woman the votes, etc.

The Second Amendment. The Constriction could not be clearer. The government shall not interfere with the right of a well regulated militia to bear arms. Not the right of an isolated individual. Not the right on an isolated individual and his buddy, or a hundred buddies, who declare themselves to be a well-regulated militia. To me, this means a militia under the control of the Governor, hopefully with a few days a year of getting together and training and making it clear the chain of command, which leads to the governor. A well-regulated militia, not a mob that runs off and does whatever it wants to do with guns, regardless of what the majority wants.

So, what the hell happened here. Well, as I understand it, up until the 1950’s, the Second Amendment was not used to protect the right of private individuals to fire arms. Then, some activist judge decided that is the way it should be interpreted. And other judges went along. And now, somehow, this has been established by precedence. In my mind 70 years of precedence should not overrule the original framer’s intent, particularly when the original framers got it right on this issue, as they didn’t always get right on others.