Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Trump supporters and conspiracy theory - Part 2  (Read 386444 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: Trump supporters and conspiracy theory - Part 2
« Reply #6328 on: June 20, 2023, 11:02:20 AM »
Advertisement
Lawrence: Trump incriminated himself on Fox tonight

MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell is joined by former federal prosecutor Andrew Weissmann, former acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal, and national security attorney Bradley Moss to discuss Donald Trump’s latest comments about the Mar-a-Lago documents investigation including comments that could interpreted as a confession.

https://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/lawrence-trump-incriminated-himself-on-fox-tonight-183387205998

Donald Trump and Fox News Anchor Bret Baier Clash in Heated Interview

The interview got tense as soon as the former president brought up Trump’s recent indictment surrounding classified documents

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-and-fox-news-anchor-bret-baier-clash-in-heated-interview

'Colossal blunder': Legal expert says 'preposterous' Trump is his own worst enemy

Former President Donald Trump doesn't know what to do now that he has been indicted on federal charges for stashing highly classified national defense information at his Mar-a-Lago resort — and is even "scared."

That's the opinion of Andrew Weissman, former lead prosecutor in the Mueller investigation, after having listened to the former president's disastrous interview with Bret Baier on Fox News.

"What did you hear from defendant Trump in that testimony that could be a defense in court, and what did you hear in the testimony that could be incriminating?" MSNBC anchor Lawrence O'Donnell asked Weissman on Monday evening.

"So, I'm gonna jump right to the second part because there is nothing in the first part," said Weissman. "So, I will be interested in what everyone else thinks just in terms of demeanor. It is a little striking to me that he sounds very unsure of himself and, frankly, a little scared, and he really should be. He is facing 71 felony counts in federal and state court, and may very well be facing additional charges."

"That was a thing that struck me the most, was his tone," said Weissman. "What he had to say is preposterous, so let's just start with this idea of, you know, what is he doing with the boxes and he is saying that he is taking out — and he didn't have enough time to take out personal things. So first, he has already said that everything is his — everything is personal. There's no triage that needs to be done, because according to his prior defense, everything is personal, because they are quote, 'mine.' It's an inconsistency, something that Jack Smith can easily point out. Second, people should understand when you get subpoenaed, if you don't have time to comply, if the deadline is not there, it's not like you don't have the ability to have your lawyer call up and say, you know what? I need more time or I can partially comply, but I need more time. This is what — if that was true, what you don't do is send something to the Department of Justice that says, I fully complied. Now he is saying, in spite of the fact that he said I fully complied, he's now saying, no, no, no, I just needed to take out my golf shirts."

"I mean, this is the kind of thing that Jack Smith has to be salivating over because, when you talked about him talking is the best possible thing, as E. Jean Carroll knows full well," said Weissman. "This is, you know, a colossal blunder on his part to continue down this road."

Watch:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6328 on: June 20, 2023, 11:02:20 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #6329 on: June 20, 2023, 11:10:15 AM »
Fox host blasts Trump: He 'seemed to verge on incoherent

A Fox interview with Donald Trump left at least one Fox host fearful about the former president's mental state.

Bret Baier spoke to Republican Party's 2024 front-runners on Monday, and Brit Hume was shocked at what he witnessed.

Hume began by congratulating his colleague for pushing back against Trump while also "letting him have his say."

But that was where the niceties ended.

"I will say a couple of things, one thing is his answer on the matters of the law seem to me to verge on incoherent," said Hume. "He seemed to be saying that the documents were really his and that he didn't give them back when he was requested to do so and when they were subpoenaed because, you know, he wasn't ready to because he hadn't sorted them and separated the classified information or whatever from his golf shirts, whatever he was saying."

Hume went so far as to say that it wasn't even clear what Trump was saying.

"But he seemed to believe that the documents were his," Hume continued. "That he had declassified them, when there was evidence to the contrary. And therefore, he could do whatever he wanted with them. Which I don't think is gonna hold up in court."

When it came to Trump's pitch to suburban female voters that he's lost, "his answer was to talk about how he didn't lose the 2020 election. I don't think that's an appealing message for the future."

Watch:

'Every time he opens his mouth, it gets worse': Legal analyst slams Trump's interview with Bret Baier

During a panel discussion about Black poverty and the disproportionate number of Black women who die in childbirth, MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan briefly mentioned the interview Fox News had with Donald Trump on Monday night — which resulted in people on the left mocking the former president's performance and has folks on the right scratching their heads.

Among the claims that Trump made when speaking with Fox News' Bret Baier was that he could have declassified the documents he had when he was president. It should thus continue after his presidency. Baier was asking about the recording in which Trump revealed that he "should have" declassified the document he was showing to the biographers working with Mark Meadows for his book. On the tape, Trump makes it clear that he understands he shouldn't be showing the Iran war planning document and that it was secret.

"When I said that I couldn't declassify it now, that's because I wasn't president I never made any bones about that," said Trump. 'When I'm not president, I can't declassify."

The admission is like a problem for Trump's legal team because it clarifies that he understands the law.

Mehdi Hasan asked former US Attorney Harry Litman if special counsel Jack Smith was watching interviews like these, "with popcorn."

"One-hundred percent he is, and it's totally bogus because, of course, Trump's claim was he already had declassified it in his mind just by taking it. So this is one more inculpatory statement. Every time he opens his mouth, it gets worse."

Watch:

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #6330 on: June 20, 2023, 11:22:50 AM »
Trump gives reason for hoarding Mar-a-Lago classified documents: ‘Didn’t want to hand them over’

Former President Donald Trump said Monday that he didn’t “want to hand over” boxes of classified government documents despite getting a subpoena because he hoped to keep personal items that he believed belong to him.

Doubling down on his “my boxes” defense, Trump admitted in an interview with Fox News’ Brett Baier that he intentionally defied the grand jury subpoena so he could rummage through the boxes that he first took to his Mar-a-Lago estate more than 1½ years earlier.

“I had boxes. I want to go through the boxes and get all my personal things out,” Trump said. “I don’t want to hand that over to (federal officials) yet.”

Trump did not flinch when given the chance by Baier to deny or explain prosecution claims that he ordered the boxes moved from a storage room to hide them from federal investigators and even his own lawyers.

"Before I send boxes over, I have to take all of my things out,” Trump insisted defiantly. “These boxes were interspersed with all sorts of things.”

Trump first floated the outlandish claim that he had the right to withhold the classified documents in a fundraising speech the last week hours after he was arraigned on 37 federal counts tied to the documents case.

But he expanded on the argument in the Monday interview in a way that may give valuable ammunition to prosecutors, especially since everything he says about the case can be used against him at trial.

Defense lawyers would likely cringe at Trump’s admission that he intentionally refused to comply with the subpoena. And by explaining his supposed reasons for defying the subpoena, Trump is effectively handing prosecutors a motive for the crimes.

The interview came hours after Trump was ordered Monday not to share evidence in his classified documents case with others or spread it on social media.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart instructed Trump not to disseminate any of the information his defense team is set to receive from federal prosecutors as the discovery phase of the historic case cranks up.

“The Discovery Materials ... shall not be disclosed to the public or the news media, or disseminated on any news or social media platform, without prior notice to and consent of the United States or approval of the Court,” Reinhart, who authorized the search warrant for Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort, wrote in the order.

The order, which was requested by the prosecution, was not opposed by Trump’s lawyers.

It bars Trump from discussing the evidence with anyone not directly related to the case. It also sets strict limits to how Trump can access the documents, requiring him to review them only in the presence of his lawyers and barring him from taking them out of their offices.

The former president could face criminal contempt of court charges if he violates the order, Reinhart said.

Reinhart issued the order but controversial U.S. District Court Judge Aileen Cannon is expected to preside over Trump’s trial in a south Florida court.

Trump faces a similar limited gag order in his New York state case on charges tied to hush money payments made to adult star Stormy Daniels.

Cannon, a right-wing Trump appointee who has next to no trial experience, last year was heavily criticized for a series of short-lived pro-Trump rulings over the documents that were recovered in the Mar-a-Lago search.

Trump is the only former president ever indicted on criminal charges. He pleaded not guiltyat his arraignment last week.

The order applies to Trump as well as his co-defendant Walt Nauta, who is accused of helping the former president hide classified documents from the feds.

© New York Daily News

Trump doubles down on attacking 'coward' Bill Barr as Fox News' Baier presses him on documents

In an interview with Fox News' Bret Baier, former President Donald Trump was cornered about his handling of highly classified national defense information, for which he has been indicted on 37 federal charges.

Trump's reaction was to attack former Attorney General William Barr, who has become a sharp critic of his former boss' actions and has even predicted that more indictments are coming.

"Fox viewers were able to watch your speech here at Bedminster," said Baier. "And your explanation of the Presidential Records Act and your defense, how you and others believe that that applies here. Obviously, you know, other legal experts, your attorney general, Bill Barr. They do not think that that applies to handling classified national security and defense materials. But that legal battle aside, I just want to ask you a couple of specifics. Why did you have these very sensitive national security defense documents like the war plans for a strike on Iran?"

"So like every other president, I take things out," said Trump. "And in my case, I took it out pretty much in a hurry. But people packed it up and we left. And I had clothing in there. I had all sorts of personal items and much, much stuff. And by the way, when Bill Barr, who's, you know, a coward, Bill Barr was a coward. Bill Barr didn't do what he was supposed to do. I fired him and he has great hatred. And that's OK, because some people do. And some people love me very much."

Baier pointed out that Barr actually resigned, to which Trump responded, "I asked him, give me a letter immediately. Because he didn't have the courage to go after so many different things." He also reiterated his previous claim that "As far as the levels and all, everything was declassified because I had the right to declassify ... I have every right to have those boxes." Notably, this is at odds with Trump's own admission on tape speaking to Bedminster guests that he didn't declassify all the documents in his possession.

This is not the first time Trump has used the "coward" moniker for Barr, who left the administration amid disagreements of how Trump was trying to use the Justice Department to overturn the 2020 election results. Earlier this month, Trump also attacked Barr as a "coward" during an interview with his longtime friend and adviser Roger Stone.

Watch:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6330 on: June 20, 2023, 11:22:50 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #6331 on: June 20, 2023, 11:35:50 AM »
Trump All But Confesses to Mishandling Classified Docs on Fox News

The former president, facing charges of mishandling classified information, nearly confessed to the crime — while blaming his “golf shirts”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/donald-trump-all-but-confesses-mishandling-classified-docs-fox-news-bret-baier-1234774379/

Legal analyst predicts Trump's next excuse will be the 'old man' defense

Donald Trump appeared on the Fox News network on Monday, where legal analysts believe he did more harm than good for his case in the stolen documents trial.

Speaking about the segment on MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell, former acting solicitor general Neal Katyal, along with Andrew Weissmann and Bradley Moss, listened to the interview on camera, shaking their heads and occasionally chuckling.

"Well Lawrence, the breaking news tonight is that the special prosecutor, Jack Smith has a new addition to his legal team tonight, an unpaid new deputy special counsel: His name is Donald J. Trump," Katyal quipped.

What Trump has described contradicts both the tape-recorded conversation about the Iran war plan and testimony from those who were in the room and heard what was said.

"So, Mr. Trump, good luck with that defense," said Katyal. "If it were just newspaper articles, why in the world are you saying on the tape that it's classified? It's totally incoherent. And the other parts of the tape, like the part you just played for Andrew, really is an admission of guilt. Like, if you just think about the Espionage Act, what is the prosecution need to show? They needed to show the defendant had unauthorized possession of a defense intelligence — national defense documents, that he willfully retained the document, and failed to give the documents to an officer of the U.S. Those are the elements. So, the Trump admission goes to all of that."

The next clip that O'Donnell played asked Trump again why he wanted the documents. He explained that he never said he wanted to keep the documents.

"I was giving them back. All of a sudden, we got raided," Trump claimed. The indictment says that at the time, Trump was having his valet Walt Nauta, move the documents around so that they couldn't be found.

"He's going to say he's gotten old. He's been with all these retirees down in Florida. He can't think anything straight. He doesn't know what he has, he forgets things. He gets facts jumbled up," Moss joked. "Look at that clip, he is talking about, 'Oh we were negotiating when Nauta and I got rated.' Well, no, you left something out. There was a subpoena that came after that, after you started giving stuff back. And you lied to the DOJ, you had Nauta moving documents; that's why you got raided. I understand. It happens to a lot of individuals when they move down to Florida. They start to get confused. It will be me one day, I'm sure. But no, this is not a defense. He has clearly walked himself into a bunch of damaging admissions. Jack Smith has gotta be recording all of that, and they are just laughing and popping popcorn because he did nothing to help his case."

Watch:

Offline Rick Plant

Re: Donald Trump Indicted!
« Reply #6332 on: June 20, 2023, 08:27:13 PM »
Trump classified documents trial date set for Aug. 14
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/20/trump-classified-documents-trial-date-set-for-aug-14.html

This interview did not go well for him’: Trump defends keeping documents

In a new interview with Fox News' Bret Baier, former President Trump defended keeping classified documents at Mar-a-Lago.

Watch:

JFK Assassination Forum

Re: Donald Trump Indicted!
« Reply #6332 on: June 20, 2023, 08:27:13 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #6333 on: June 20, 2023, 09:02:46 PM »
Trump jury trial in Mar-a-Lago docs case slated to start in August

It appears that special counsel Jack Smith may get his wish to give former President Donald Trump a speedy trial.

Law and Crime News' Adam Klasfeld reports that the jury trial in the Trump Mar-a-Lago documents case is set to begin on August 14th, 2023 under Judge Aileen Cannon.

Lawyers for both the prosecution and defense must also file their motions aimed at potentially excluding certain evidence by July 24th.

Trump was indicted earlier this month on 37 felony counts related to willful retention of national defense information and obstruction of justice.

Trump currently faces a slew of legal problems, including a civil lawsuit over allegedly fraudulent business practices from New York Attorney General Letitia James; criminal charges related to his hush-money payments to adult film star Stormy Daniels; criminal charges related to his decision to stash top-secret government documents at his Mar-a-Lago resort; and two different investigations into his efforts to illegally remain in power after losing the 2020 election to President Joe Biden.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1671134354049777668

'Opposite of a witch hunt': CNN panel blows up Trump's claims of persecution

Former President Donald Trump has reacted to his federal Espionage Act indictment over the Mar-a-Lago classified documents case by claiming he is the victim of political persecution aimed to take him out of contention for president.

But new reporting from The Washington Post that revealed the FBI and Justice Department were reluctant to pursue Trump at all, and dragged their feet on a separate investigation of his role in the January 6 attack for a year, clearly demonstrates it was anything but, said a CNN panel on Tuesday morning.

"It's a failure by the Justice Department," said panel member and former federal prosecutor Elie Honig. "They are making up for lost time now. Yes, the pace of this investigation has picked up markedly, especially since Jack Smith took over. But — we discussed it at the time — for the first year and a half, DOJ was allergic, categorically allergic, to looking at the real power sources. Yes, they did and have to go after the people who stormed the Capitol, but those are not either/or propositions. DOJ has literally 10,000 federal prosecutors. They should have aimed at the people who stormed the Capitol and aimed high right away."

"There was a real cost for DOJ of not getting to the witnesses first in terms of — and what is so interesting about the Washington Post reporting is that it says that they really, for fear of looking political, didn't go directly after the former president and his closest allies because of that," said anchor Poppy Harlow.

"It shows this is the opposite of a witch hunt," said CNN analyst John Avlon. "It's about due process and the concern about the appearance of impropriety. A lot of times this has been sort of the Boy Scouts versus mob bosses, people willing to do anything and other people trying to uphold not only the law but being allergic to the appearance of impropriety."

"This information came to a head and now we will see," Avlon added. "The seditious conspiracy charges are very hard. We will see whether that gets taken."

Watch:

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #6334 on: June 20, 2023, 09:13:15 PM »
Trump is 'one step closer to jail' after 'incriminating and idiotic' Fox News interview: Morning Joe

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough expressed astonishment at Donald Trump's "incoherent" interview on Fox News.

The former president sat down with broadcaster Bret Baier, who challenged him to explain why he had not returned classified materials to the National Archives until the FBI seized them, and the "Morning Joe" host said Trump didn't do himself any favors by insisting he had been too "busy" to sort through the tranche to separate out his golf attire and other personal items.

"Yeah, none of that is going to hold up in court," Scarborough said. "It was incoherent. I must say, incoherent, incriminating and stupid. I say that by saying Donald Trump actually wants people to believe that in his transcript, he is looking at a document and telling an aide, 'I can't declassify this now, I could have when I was president of the United States, but I can't now.' Later in the interview, why, in 2022 -- he lost the election in 2020, in 2022, why did he hide the documents? Because he had golf shirts, clothing, pants and shoes inside cases with nuclear information, war plans against Iran, and some of America's greatest vulnerabilities, all in there with Mar-a-Lago golf shirts."

The ex-president always seems to be held to a different standard legally, Scarborough said, pointing to a Washington Postreport that showed the FBI resisted investigating his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection, while Trump complains that he is being treated unfairly.

"There is a double standard," he said. "There's one standard that every government official is held to, who would immediately be, you know, arrested, then there's the standard they held Donald Trump to. Dragged their feet for over a year, and the FBI dragging their feet, not even wanting to get these documents on nuclear secrets, not even wanting to go in to see all the boxes that he had, and Donald Trump saying, 'Oh, it's worse for me, this has never happened before.' Of course, it never happened because, again, he lost in 2020. In 2021, he is still lying. In 2022, he is still lying about having some of the most government secrets."

"Any member of Congress, from Ted Cruz to Bernie Sanders, that got briefed and took three documents -- not all these boxes, not thousands -- but took three classified documents would get a call the next day from the FBI or they'd show up in their offices," Scarborough continued. "It'd be immediate. I was talking to a CIA analyst over the weekend who said if he mishandled one document, though he was a career CIA guy, he would lose his job that day. Might not get arrested for one, but they'd be there knocking on his door the next day. They give Trump years, year and a half, he keeps ignoring them. Now he goes on TV."

"We've sort of summarized Donald Trump's interview with Bret Baier last night as incoherent, incriminating and idiotic on so many levels," Scarborough concluded. "Talk about how he keeps putting himself one step closer to jail every time he does one of these rambling interviews."

Trump should cop a plea if he were a 'normal defendant' -- but he's 'every lawyer's nightmare': legal analyst

Donald Trump's lawyers might want to discuss a plea agreement with the former president after he handed prosecutors "powerful evidence" in an interview on Fox News, but it's far from guaranteed that he would accept the terms.

The former president defended his possession of classified materials and refusal to return them to government custody, and former U.S. attorney Barbara McQuade told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that his comments to broadcaster Bret Baier could help prosecutors prove one of the most difficult element in the crimes for which Trump has been indicted.

"I think it's very powerful evidence," McQuade said. "I think the hardest thing to prove in most cases, but especially a case like this, is willfulness. For most crimes, ignorance of the law is no defense, but for certain crimes, including mishandling classified information, there is an additional level of willfulness that is proving what you did was illegal and you knew it was illegal. So that little clip where Donald Trump explains about his understanding that he can no longer declassify documents after he leaves the White House says he understands what it means to handle classified documents. He knows that these are regulated by certain laws. For him to say at trial, if there were to be some defense that the government has failed to prove the requisite intent, they'll play this tape. I think a jury will find beyond a reasonable doubt that he absolutely knew what he was doing was illegal."

Trump's attorneys can't be happy with his decision to give the interview or the statements he made, and McQuade said they should consider resigning from the case.

"You have a client who won't listen to you, which is every lawyer's nightmare," she said. "Maybe you dissect it for him and explain to him in very gory detail exactly how harmful that was. These are the elements of the offense, this is what government will have to prove at trial. When you say these things, this is evidence that they will play in court. Perhaps that is one way."

"I think any normal defendant, any normal lawyer would absolutely be talking about a plea," McQuade added. "I can't imagine the government is going to agree to the kind of conditions that Donald Trump would want in exchange. They are going to want prison time because anybody else would get prison time or they'll want, which the Justice Department permits, an agreement not to seek higher office. He's just not going to agree to those kinds of things. Maybe as we get closer to the date and he realizes that serious prison time is at stake, those things may look far more attractive than they do now."

Watch:

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #6335 on: June 21, 2023, 09:09:09 AM »
Trump support softens with Republican voters since indictment in Mar-a-Lago documents case, poll says

Donald Trump’s support among Republicans has surprisingly softened since his indictment in the Mar-a-Lago classified documents case, a new national poll revealed Tuesday.

Even though he still holds a commanding lead over a crowded field, Trump’s support dipped from 53% to 47% among GOP voters in the past month, according to the CNN poll of 1,350 registered voters.

A significant 25% of Republicans say prosecutors were right to charge him in the documents case and a similar number say he should end his campaign after being indicted.

Only 67% of GOP voters hold a favorable view of him, down a full 10% from a similar poll in May. The poll, which was conducted late last week, included 560 Republicans and has a 3.4% margin of error.

GOP voters are almost evenly split over whether Trump is the candidate with the best chance of retaking the White House, with 51% saying he is the strongest one and 49% saying he’s not.

The lackluster numbers are somewhat surprising because conventional wisdom held that the indictment would only help Trump consolidate his backing in the GOP primary race.

His support has generally been rising among Republicans in recent months and his poll numbers rose noticeably after his previous indictment on New York state charges tied to a hush money payment made to porn star Stormy Daniels.

The polls could be an outlier or a temporary blip as Trump holds an overwhelming lead over DeSantis, whose support has stuck at 26% even as Trump’s dipped.

Former Vice President Mike Pence earned a relatively strong 9% in the new poll followed by ex-UN ambassador Nikki Haley, Sen. Tim Scott and Trump critic Chris Christie. Others drew less than 1% in the crowded field.

The poll was completed before Trump gave a widely panned interview on Fox News Monday in which he admitted defying a subpoena to return classified documents and claimed he had the right to keep them until he had the chance to rummage through boxes for golf gear and other personal items.

Christie mocked mocked Trump for what he described as a ridiculous excuse for not complying with a federal subpoena.

“Does anybody in America believe this?” Christie asked on CBS News. “Maybe he could have skipped a couple of rounds of golf and gone through the boxes to respond to a subpoena from a grand jury.”

Some of Trump’s rivals may have picked up the stronger-than-expected negative reaction to the indictment in early internal polls of Republicans. Pence and Haley both flip-flopped to gently criticize Trump after initially suggesting the indictment was unfounded.

Even with the modest shifts in Republican attitudes, GOP voters remain dramatically out of step with Americans as a whole.

More than 60% of all voters in the poll approve of the charges against Trump and say he should drop out of the race. That includes more than 90% of Democrats as well as two-thirds of independents.

Those numbers suggest Trump will face a very unfriendly electoral climate in a general election if he is able to navigate his legal woes and win the Republican nomination.

© New York Daily News

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6335 on: June 21, 2023, 09:09:09 AM »