Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: My Re-Evaluation of Johnny Brewer’s Initial Report of December 6, 1963  (Read 18702 times)

Offline Joe Elliott

Advertisement
My Re-Evaluation of Johnny Brewer’s Initial Report of December 6, 1963

I didn’t think it likely that the media was reporting the shooting of an officer so soon after the shooting. Officer Tippit was shot at 1:15 pm. Oswald ducked into the foyer of the shoe store at 1:36. Surely, I thought, the media could not have been broadcasting this within 21 minutes, could they? Or if they had, surely someone on this board would know of this.

However, John McAdams maintains a website on the JFK assassination. At the following webpage, he has a transcript of the police communications from November 22, 1963:

https://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/

This is broken up into three sections. In section 3:

https://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/tapes3.htm

At 1:26 or 1:27, we have the following information being relayed from Officer E. G. Sabastian to the Dallas police Dispatcher.

Sabastian            75.     ; getting the Dispatcher’s attention
Dispatcher          75.     ; Dispatcher acknowledging Officer Sabastian
Sabastian            NBC News is reporting DOA.
Dispatcher          That’s correct.
Sabastian            That the officer?
Dispatcher          Yes.

By 1:27, within 12 minutes of the shooting, NBC News was reporting the death of a police, who was reported DOA. I would expect, probably, no, most certainly, that local radio stations would pick this up and report on it immediately. Mr. Brewer may have even  been listening to NBC News. Mr. Brewer may have heard that a policeman was shot up to 9 minutes before Oswald showed up. It would have been the last major news break before he first saw Oswald.

I would now speculate that someone, in this case NBC News, had done what I thought was possible. Monitor the police frequency. And got a scoop that was promptly broadcast and would be picked up by the rest of the media, if they were not asleep, immediately.

Over time, I think it’s clear that Mr. Brewer’s memory did change. Two weeks later it was “I” was listening to the radio. Four months later it was “we” were listening to the radio. 33 years later it was “Two IBM employees were lounging around and killing time, on a work day, while we” were listening to the radio. But Mr. Brewer’s memory just two weeks later seems to have been spot on.

My apologies to Mr. Brewer. His memory of the events during the first two weeks appears spot on. In this case my “Probability” analysis was off. That’s why I call it a “Probability” analysis, not a “Certainty” analysis.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:30:50 AM by Joe Elliott »

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline John Mytton

By 1:27, within 12 minutes of the shooting, NBC News was reporting the death of a police, who was reported DOA.

@56:55

JohnM

Offline John Iacoletti

@56:55

That's too late.  At 43:40 in this video they mention that Kilduff announced that the president had died at 1:00, and that it was "thirty-five minutes ago".

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Joe Elliott

That's too late.  At 43:40 in this video they mention that Kilduff announced that the president had died at 1:00, and that it was "thirty-five minutes ago".

Yes, but as you know, as you know, the Dictabelt recordings show the police talking over the police radio about an NBC news flash, of a policeman being shot and killed in Dallas. From the police radio they would learn that the shooing had taken place in the Oak Cliff area. And this talk over the radio occurred several minutes before Oswald first showed up at the shoe store at 1:36.

Why do you put emphasis on the later TV broadcast? It doesn’t matter is this shooing was reported by the media well after 1:30. What matters is that it was also reported before 1:30.

Offline Martin Weidmann

Yes, but as you know, as you know, the Dictabelt recordings show the police talking over the police radio about an NBC news flash, of a policeman being shot and killed in Dallas. From the police radio they would learn that the shooing had taken place in the Oak Cliff area. And this talk over the radio occurred several minutes before Oswald first showed up at the shoe store at 1:36.

Why do you put emphasis on the later TV broadcast? It doesn’t matter is this shooing was reported by the media well after 1:30. What matters is that it was also reported before 1:30.

Radio stations always record their entire output, for the purpose of settling possible disputes with advertisers. No recording of any broadcast about Tippit being killed for the time in question has ever surfaced.

JFK Assassination Forum

Offline Joe Elliott

Radio stations always record their entire output, for the purpose of settling possible disputes with advertisers. No recording of any broadcast about Tippit being killed for the time in question has ever surfaced.

And they keep those tapes forever? They never reuse them?

Assuming what you tell me is true:

Question 1:

Is the reason we have no recording of a radio station broadcasting the news of a policeman’s shooting because we no longer have these recordings?

Question 2:

Can you give me a list of radio stations that we do have entire recordings of that do not mention the shooting of a police officer before 1:35?

Question 3:

If such a radio announcement was never made, why are the police discussing over the police radio the NBC news flash reporting the shooting of a police officer by 1:27?

That we do have a recording of and it still exists.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:09:40 AM by Joe Elliott »

Offline John Iacoletti

But I checked the existing recordings of both NBC TV and NBC radio, and no such announcement exists.  So patrolman Sebastian was wrong.

Offline Jerry Freeman

And they keep those tapes forever? They never reuse them? Assuming what you tell me is true:
"Assuming"? ----What is your major malfunction? The recordings are preserved on youtube....
@ 2:05:30 the report JFK is dead [announcement came at 1:38 CST] @2:33 in the recording the report of the Oak Cliff shooting....Do the math---------

This recording starts at the announcement of JFK's death [1:38 CST]
NOTE--- 24:30 = [minutes later] the report states "Moments ago a policeman was reported shot shot down at 10th and Patton in the Oak Cliff area...."

It seems that hearts are broken that Brewer lied...get over it....move on.

JFK Assassination Forum