Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswalds early discharge from the marines. Why?  (Read 5957 times)

Offline Gerry Down

Oswalds early discharge from the marines. Why?
« on: November 01, 2020, 02:39:05 AM »
Advertisement
In March 1959, Oswald applied to attend the Albert Schweitzer College in April 1960.

With the course not beginning until April 1960, why did Oswald look for an early discharge from the marines, which he received in Sept 1959? I think, but am not sure, that this was 2 months short of his completion date in the marines.

Edward Jay Epstein says in his book LEGEND (page 97) that Robert Oswald felt that applying to the Switzerland college and the early discharge was all part of the plan to defect to Russia. But he does not explain why the early discharge was part of the plan.

Could Oswald not have simply waited till his marine term was up (which i think was in Nov 1959) and defect then?

JFK Assassination Forum

« on: November 01, 2020, 02:39:05 AM »

Offline Gerry Down

Re: Oswalds early discharge from the marines. Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 03:07:15 AM »
Oswald signed on for six years. His six years of service would have ended December 8, 1962.
https://www.kenrahn.com/JFK/Issues_and_evidence/Lee_Harvey_Oswald/Mind_of_Oswald/Chap1.html

How did I make such a blunder!  :(

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 03:22:54 AM »
How did I make such a blunder!  :(

Gerry, I'm not 100% sure you have. I believe (gut feeling) that link I posted may have been incorrect. I've removed my post until I can find out for sure. Apologies for that, I should have double-checked before posting.

The following should clear it up; "Oswald was obligated to serve on active duty until December 7, 1959 (the date having been adjusted to compensate for the period of confinement).451 On August 17, he submitted a request for a dependency discharge, on the ground that his mother needed his support.452 The request was accompanied by an affidavit of Mrs. Oswald and corroborating affidavits from an attorney, a doctor, and two friends, attesting that she had been injured at work in December 1958, and was unable to support herself.453 Oswald had previously made a voluntary allotment of part of his salary to his mother, under which arrangement she received $40 in August, and had submitted an application for a "Q" allotment (dependency allowance) in her behalf of $91.30; one payment of the "Q" allotment, for the month of August, was made in September.454 On August 28, the Wing Hardship or Dependency Discharge Board recommended that Oswald's request for a discharge be approved; 455 approval followed shortly.456 On September 4, he was transferred from MACS-9 to the H. & H. Squadron,457 and on September 11, he was released from active duty and transferred to the Marine Corps Reserve, in which he was expected to serve until December 8, 1962.458 He was assigned to the Marine Air Reserve Training Command at the Naval Air Station in Glenview."

https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/warren-commission-report/appendix-13.html#marines
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 03:42:05 AM by Denis Pointing »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 03:22:54 AM »

Offline Gerry Down

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 03:38:45 AM »
Its interesting that Oswald gave an incorrect age (20) on the application form for the Albert Schweitzer College in Switzerland:

https://natedsanders.com/lee-harvey-oswald-signed-application-to-albert-schweitzer-college-in-1959----upon-acceptance-to-the--lot9816.aspx

He was 19, not 20.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
In March 1959, Oswald applied to attend the Albert Schweitzer College in April 1960.

With the course not beginning until April 1960, why did Oswald look for an early discharge from the marines, which he received in Sept 1959? I think, but am not sure, that this was 2 months short of his completion date in the marines.

Edward Jay Epstein says in his book LEGEND (page 97) that Robert Oswald felt that applying to the Switzerland college and the early discharge was all part of the plan to defect to Russia. But he does not explain why the early discharge was part of the plan.

Could Oswald not have simply waited till his marine term was up (which i think was in Nov 1959) and defect then?

Lee was released from active duty ( Not discharged ) early so that they would have enough time to get him in position in the USSR prior to the CIA  U-2  Spy plane  over flights.....    The CIA wanted him in the USSR to establish a  base from which he could transmit a radio signal by which the U-2 could navigate.  The pilot would know when to turn on the cameras and record the city below.

At the time they released Lee from active duty they had no way of knowing if he would be successful at penetrating the "Iron Curtain" ( even though the Russians were encouraging him to defect and divulge information about the U-2.....  )    The CIA had no way of knowing that IF ?? Lee succeeded in penetrating the Iron Curtain where the Russians might place him....BUT  the CIA suspected that they would place him near a school for Russian spies .  The CIA reasoned that one of the reasons they wanted Lee Oswald was because they wanted their spies exposed to an American so they could learn American slang and hear an American speak.   Thus the CIA guessed that the Russians would send Lee to Minsk, and that was a city they were interested in......   

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »

Offline John Tonkovich

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 06:32:44 AM »

Lee was released from active duty ( Not discharged ) early so that they would have enough time to get him in position in the USSR prior to the CIA  U-2  Spy plane  over flights.....    The CIA wanted him in the USSR to establish a  base from which he could transmit a radio signal by which the U-2 could navigate.  The pilot would know when to turn on the cameras and record the city below.

At the time they released Lee from active duty they had no way of knowing if he would be successful at penetrating the "Iron Curtain" ( even though the Russians were encouraging him to defect and divulge information about the U-2.....  )    The CIA had no way of knowing that IF ?? Lee succeeded in penetrating the Iron Curtain where the Russians might place him....BUT  the CIA suspected that they would place him near a school for Russian spies .  The CIA reasoned that one of the reasons they wanted Lee Oswald was because they wanted their spies exposed to an American so they could learn American slang and hear an American speak.   Thus the CIA guessed that the Russians would send Lee to Minsk, and that was a city they were interested in......   
And you have evidence of any of this?

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 07:58:44 PM »
And you have evidence of any of this?

Do you think I could create a plausible explanation out of thin air??.......    Of course I know what happened, and why Lee was released early....

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
Do you think I could create a plausible explanation out of thin air??.......    Of course I know what happened, and why Lee was released early....

That's exactly what you did!! John T asked for evidence E-V-I-D-E-N-C-E..you familiar with that word at all?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 11:44:04 PM by Denis Pointing »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »