Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Does Hiding a Rifle You Plan On Leaving Anyway Really Make Sense?  (Read 29786 times)

Offline Bill Chapman

Re: Does Hiding a Rifle You Plan On Leaving Anyway Really Make Sense?
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »
Advertisement

BILL CHAPMAN

----------------
BONUS TIP for
HIGH SCHOOL
DROP-OUTS (aka
OSWALD ARSE
KISSERS ;D

-----------------
> THE CARCANO WAS
BATTLE ZEROED OUT
TO 200 METERS
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:24:08 PM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2021, 06:00:09 PM »
What do you mean they didn't zero the scope in in WW2. All scopes would have to be zeroed in.

They may have zeroed in the scope when not in action. But did they "zero" in their scope while in the field and making kill shots?

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2021, 06:14:34 PM »
They may have zeroed in the scope when not in action. But did they "zero" in their scope while in the field and making kill shots?

First they had to contact the enemy: Imagine John Cleese in a Monty Python skit: "I say, old chap, would you mind holding your position while I zero in on you? You will? There's a good fellow... and awfully sporting of you, I must say!"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:21:16 PM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2021, 06:14:34 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2021, 06:33:38 PM »
First they had to contact the enemy: Imagine John Cleese in a Monty Python skit: "I say, old chap, would you mind holding your position will I zero in on you? You will? There's a good fellow... and awfully sporting of you, I must say!"

Right. Once you take to the field, you no longer have the opportunity to "zero" in for every shot. Over different ranges, one compensates for the "zero" (which is fixed for a specific distance) and windage with hold over/hold off.

Some of the high-count snipers of WWII didn't use a scope at all.

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2021, 06:39:17 PM »
First they had to contact the enemy: Imagine John Cleese in a Monty Python skit: "I say, old chap, would you mind holding your position while I zero in on you? You will? There's a good fellow... and awfully sporting of you, I must say!"
True, but I don't believe most combat troops in the field had scopes on their rifles? Right?

If we're talking about rifles with scopes I would guess that that was for snipers? Or in stationary situations where the shooter had time to set up? As you point out, a scope is utterly useless for a firefight/combat situation. So why have one on your rifle?

If you do have a rifle with a scope I would think they'd zero in first? They're shooting at stationary targets and not engaged in a firefight type situation.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:52:47 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2021, 06:39:17 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2021, 07:12:50 PM »
My question went unanswered.

I can wait.

Used the clipboard when?

Three invoices were noted on this clipboard, each dated November 22, for Scott-Foresman books, located on the first and sixth floors.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2021, 07:13:13 PM »
True, but I don't believe most combat troops in the field had scopes on their rifles? Right?

If we're talking about rifles with scopes I would guess that that was for snipers? Or in stationary situations where the shooter had time to set up? As you point out, a scope is utterly useless for a firefight/combat situation. So why have one on your rifle?

If you do have a rifle with a scope I would think they'd zero in first? They're shooting at stationary targets and not engaged in a firefight type situation.

This discussion is silly nonsense....Of course scopes were rare back in WWII.......  According to Richard Hobbs who is an expert on the Carcano....."The Italian Army did not issue a rifle with a scope for their sniper use.  They were issued accuracy marked rifles . The accuracy mark is crossed rifles in front of a target . This mark would be stamped on a rifle when it went through the test firing for final proofing, if the rifle proved to be extremely accurate."."

The silly debate is nothing but a diversion from the fact that the carcano that was carefully hidden beneath the pallet of books at the NW corner of the 6th floorwas NOT the murder weapon.....  ( It was already well hidden beneath that pallet of books at the time of the murder. )

Online Gerry Down

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »

Oswald would have had to zero in his rifle as he brought it in in pieces. The main thing about zeroing a rifle is to make sure it doesn't fire left or right of the intended target. The shooter has to compensate up and down with his (or her) aiming to allow for shooting at a target that might be close or far away. This is why lho prob used the iron sights. He had no way to know if the rifle would fire left or right of where he positioned the crosshairs of the scope as he obviously could not zero in the rifle once inside the TSBD.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »