Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Does Hiding a Rifle You Plan On Leaving Anyway Really Make Sense?  (Read 29785 times)

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: Does Hiding a Rifle You Plan On Leaving Anyway Really Make Sense?
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2021, 08:14:23 PM »
Advertisement
Oswald would have had to zero in his rifle as he brought it in in pieces. The main thing about zeroing a rifle is to make sure it doesn't fire left or right of the intended target. The shooter has to compensate up and down with his (or her) aiming to allow for shooting at a target that might be close or far away. This is why lho prob used the iron sights. He had no way to know if the rifle would fire left or right of where he positioned the crosshairs of the scope as he obviously could not zero in the rifle once inside the TSBD.

lho prob used the iron sights.

LHO  never used either the scope or the iron sights.....  The rifle was NOT the murder weapon.    It was hidden beneath the pallet of books on the sixth floor in the NW corner of the TSBD at the time JFK was murdered.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2021, 08:14:23 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2021, 09:11:32 PM »
"Noted" -- LOL

Evidence number?

FBI Report?

And I'm the rookie!  LOL.  You have apparent access to a computer.  Try something called "Google."

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2021, 09:18:31 PM »
Oswald would have had to zero in his rifle as he brought it in in pieces. The main thing about zeroing a rifle is to make sure it doesn't fire left or right of the intended target. The shooter has to compensate up and down with his (or her) aiming to allow for shooting at a target that might be close or far away. This is why lho prob used the iron sights. He had no way to know if the rifle would fire left or right of where he positioned the crosshairs of the scope as he obviously could not zero in the rifle once inside the TSBD.

I can't see why the 200 meter factory-zeroed Carcano would not remain intact when Oswald merely had to slot the barrel/trigger mechanism back in place, which would obviously fit even more snuggly as the screws were tightened.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:05:01 PM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2021, 09:18:31 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2021, 10:40:05 PM »
Oswald would have had to zero in his rifle as he brought it in in pieces.

The scope should hold the "zero" it had, provided it wasn't detached from the barrel assembly. If Oswald used the scope and was familiar with any deviation from the rifle's "zero" (due to changing distances, etc.), he could compensate.

May be why the first shot--accounting to some theories--missed. Then, if he reused the scope, he had a better sense of the compensation. Or he decided to use the iron sights. Either way, a first shot that happened to miss did him some good in the long run.

The main thing about zeroing a rifle is to make sure it doesn't fire left or right of the intended target. The shooter has to compensate up and down with his (or her) aiming to allow for shooting at a target that might be close or far away. This is why lho prob used the iron sights. He had no way to know if the rifle would fire left or right of where he positioned the crosshairs of the scope as he obviously could not zero in the rifle once inside the TSBD.

You're comparing the shots taken from the SN with competitive precision firing at a shooting range or the Olympics. What Oswald did--if he used the scope--was a field improvisation; he took his chances, made corrections and got lucky on the head shot, which was a near-miss.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2021, 10:57:51 PM »
Just curious, how do the shooting distances of the attempt on Walker and the Dealey Plaza distances compare?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2021, 10:57:51 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2021, 11:05:15 PM »
Now is the time to realize you're out of your depth...

The notion that without on-site "zeroing", the Carcano is unusable is ridiculous. Oswald could use the scope and/or the iron sights. He had all the advantages, including motivation, position and when to fire.

Oswald could have even not fired and called it a day.

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2021, 11:19:51 PM »
You mean the alleged orders were not in evidence?

Huh? Evidence of what?

That Oswald worked that day, we know that he was there.

Mr. BALL - Did you notice whether or not Lee had a package that looked like a lunch package that morning?
Mr. FRAZIER - You know like I told you earlier, I say, he didn't take his lunch because I remember right when I got in the car I asked him where was his lunch and he said he was going to buy his lunch that day.

That Oswald was carrying around a clipboard, we know that he did.

Mr. WILLIAMS. The morning of November 22d Oswald was on the floor. The only time I saw him that morning was a little after eight, after I had started working. As usual, he was walking around with a clipboard in his hands, I believe he was.

That Oswald was seen on the 6th floor carrying a clipboard, it's a given that he did.

Mr. GIVENS. He was between the stock and the window, coming towards the elevators.
Mr. BELIN. Coming towards the elevators?
Mr. GIVENS. Yes, sir.
Mr. BELIN. Did you see all of his body or not?
Mr. GIVENS. Yes, sir; he had his clipboard in his hand.

The elevator was right next to where the clipboard was found.

JohnM
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 11:34:27 PM by John Mytton »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2021, 12:13:09 AM »
Huh? Evidence of what?

Ask Richard, he's the one who highlighted the date.

Round and round we go down the rabbit hole.  You asked for evidence of when Oswald used the clipboard. The clipboard contains a notation for 11.22 according to the FBI.  Put on your deerstalker hat and make like Sherlock Holmes to figure this out.   BTW:  you are the one who is suggesting doubt regarding clipboard.  If it was planted, then presumably that was done to implicate Oswald.  Otherwise that would be entirely pointless.  So it is incumbent on you to explain what the clipboard is evidence of.  I have simply suggested that Oswald may have placed the clipboard down when he retrieved his rifle.  Thus, it provides some insight on where his rifle was hidden. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2021, 12:13:09 AM »