Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: 1/6 Insurrection Investigation  (Read 95332 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: 1/6 Insurrection Investigation
« Reply #1352 on: June 13, 2023, 04:54:48 AM »
Advertisement
DOJ seeks 14 years for Jan. 6 rioter who called Trump 'dad,' drove stun gun into Michael Fanone's neck

Daniel "D.J." Rodriguez wrote in a letter to the former officer he assaulted that he wished he were smarter. The feds say his actions amount to terrorism.

WASHINGTON — Federal prosecutors are seeking 14 years in federal prison for a violent Jan. 6 rioter who his lawyers say "idolized" Donald Trump and thought of the former president as the "father figure" he never had.

Daniel "D.J. " Rodriguez pleaded guilty in February, admitting that he battled law enforcement officers on the steps of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and stunned former Washington Police Officer Mike Fanone in the neck before he stormed the building and smashed out a window. The government, in a sentencing memo filed late Friday, sought 168 months in federal prison, along with restitution of $98,927, saying Rodriguez's crimes were acts of terrorism that deserve an upward departure from the sentencing guidelines. U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson will sentence Rodriguez on June 21.

Rodriguez, his defense attorneys wrote in a separate sentencing memo, "struggled to find a place where he felt he truly belonged" and "found a cause that gave his life meaning" when he became a part of the "Make America Great Again" movement in California. Rodriguez saw Trump as "the father figure and leader Mr. Rodriguez never had in his life," his attorneys wrote, adding that he "trusted Trump blindly and admired Trump so much" that he referred to Trump as "dad" in messages he sent to a "PATRIOTS 45 MAGA Gang" group on Telegram.

Daniel Rodriguez inside the Capitol on Jan. 6.

"It was Mr. Rodriguez’s unwavering belief in the words of the former president that drove him to lose all sense of right and wrong and led him to take part in the tragic actions that unfolded in Washington, D.C. on January 6th," Rodriguez's lawyers wrote, seeking a sentence of a little more than five years in federal prison.

"Mr. Rodriguez, who grew up without a father and who never completed high school, was someone who believed the former president’s lies because Mr. Rodriguez deeply respected and idolized Trump," they wrote of Rodriguez, who they said held "low-level employment" in retail and factories for 20 years. "He believed Trump was someone to be admired: a multimillionaire who graduated from Wharton Business School, with his name massively displayed in gold on buildings across the United States."

Rodriguez — who called himself "so stupid" and a “f---ing piece of s--t” in an interview with the FBI — also denigrated his own intelligence in a letter to Fanone filed in court. (Fanone has called Rodriguez a “moron” who was “manipulated” by Trump.)

"I wish I was smarter," Rodriguez wrote. "I want to apologize to your children as well. If I could go back and change what I did, I would. I hope it makes you feel better that I am going through a very tough time in jail."

Rodriguez has been held in custody for more than two years, since his arrest in March 2021, about a month after he was named in a HuffPost story following his identification by online sleuths and anti-fascist activists in the Los Angeles area.

Jackson has sentenced at least two other defendants in connection with the assault on Fanone, giving Kyle Young, an HVAC worker from Iowa, more than seven years in federal prison in September and giving Albuquerque Head, of Tennessee, 7.5 years in federal prison in October.

Rodriguez was indicted alongside two co-defendants: Ed Badalian and a man known to online sleuths as "Swedish Scarf." Badalian was convicted on most charges in April and will be sentenced in mid-July, while "Swedish Scarf" — whose name has been redacted in court documents but whose identity is known to the FBI — is believed to have fled the country.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/jan-6-rioter-called-trump-dad-tased-fanone-get-14-years-doj-says-rcna88853

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1352 on: June 13, 2023, 04:54:48 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1353 on: June 13, 2023, 09:00:06 AM »
WATCH: Many Trump supporters carried firearms on Jan. 6, police transmissions reveal

Jun 28, 2022

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on Tuesday shared radio transmissions from police identifying supporters of former President Donald Trump who were carrying firearms including AR-15s, rifles and Glock pistols on the National Mall on the morning of the insurrection.

Cassidy Hutchinson, a former White House aide, testified on June 28 and in an earlier deposition that former President Donald Trump and White House chief of staff Mark Meadows were aware that rioters were armed.

Hutchinson said she witnessed Tony Ornato, the former deputy chief of staff of operations who was responsible for security, brief Meadows about the number of weapons present among the crowd.

Watch:

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1354 on: June 13, 2023, 09:15:28 PM »
2 Oath Keepers who helped amass guns before Jan. 6 attack sentenced to prison

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two Florida men who stormed the U.S. Capitol with other members of the far-right Oath Keepers group were sentenced Friday to three years in prison for seditious conspiracy and other charges — the latest in a historic string of sentences in the Jan. 6. 2021 attack.

David Moerschel, 45, a neurophysiologist from Punta Gorda, and Joseph Hackett, a 52-year-old chiropractor from Sarasota, were convicted in January alongside other members of the antigovernment extremist group for their roles in what prosecutors described as a violent plot to stop the transfer power from former President Donald Trump to President Joe Biden after the 2020 election.

Both men were among the lower-level members charged with seditious conspiracy. Moerschel was sentenced to three years in prison and Hackett got three and a half years.

All told, nine people associated with the Oath Keepers have been tried for seditious conspiracy and six were convicted of the rarely used Civil War-era charge in two separate trials, including the group’s founder Stewart Rhodes. Rhodes was sentenced last week to 18 years in prison — a record for a Jan. 6 defendant. Three defendants were cleared of the sedition charge but found guilty of other Jan. 6 crimes.

Moerschel and Hackett helped amass guns and ammunition to stash in a Virginia hotel for a so-called “quick reaction force” that could be quickly shuttled to Washington, prosecutors said. The weapons were never deployed. Moerschel provided an AR-15 and a Glock semi-automatic handgun and Hackett helped transport weapons, prosecutors said.

On Jan. 6, both men dressed in paramilitary gear and marched into the Capitol with fellow Oath Keepers in a military-style line formation, charging documents stated.

“The security of our country and the safety of democracy should not hinge on the impulses of madmen,” Justice Department prosecutor Troy Edwards said.

Moerschel told the judge he was deeply ashamed of forcing his way into the Capitol and joining the riot that seriously injured police officers and sent staffers running in fear.

"When I was on the stairs, your honor, I felt like God said to me, ‘Get out here.’ And I didn’t,” he said in court, his voice cracking with emotion. “I disobeyed God and I broke laws.”

Moerschel was a neurophysiologist who monitored surgical patients under anesthesia before his arrest, though he’s since been fired and now works in construction and landscaping. A former missionary, he is married with three children.

Hackett similarly said he remembered feeling horrified as stepped foot in the Capitol that day: “I truly am sorry for my part in causing so much misery,” he said.

He originally joined the group after seeing vandalism at a commercial area near his house during the summer of 2020, when protests against police brutality were common, his attorney Angela Halim said. “He did not join this organization because he shared any beliefs of Stewart Rhodes,” she said.

Still, he later attended an “unconventional warfare” training, and in the leadup to Jan. 6 he repeatedly warned other Oath Keepers about “leaks” and the need to secure their communications, and later changed his online screen names, authorities have said.

“Taken together, his messages show he perceived the election as an existential threat,” said prosecutor Alexandra Hughes.

How the chiropractor and father ended up storming the Capitol, though, is “hard to wrap one’s head around,” said U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta. The group’s increasingly heated online conversations and false claims of a stolen election “can suck you in like a vortex make and make it very difficult to get out.”

Neither man was a top leader in the group, and both left shortly after Jan. 6. Both sentences were far lower than the 12 years prosecutors sought for Hackett and 10 for Moreschel.

Moreschel was in the Capitol for about 12 minutes, and didn’t do anything violent or scream at police officers, Mehta noted. He also handed his guns over to police.

“Sentencing shouldn’t be vengeful, it shouldn’t be such that it is unduly harsh simply for the sake of being harsh,” said the judge, who also imposed a three-year term of supervised release for both men.

Moerschel’s attorneys had asked for home confinement, arguing that he joined the Oath Keepers chats shortly before the riot and was not a leader.

“He was just in the back following the crowd,” attorney Scott Weinberg told the judge.

Defense attorneys have long said there was never a plan to attack the Capitol and prosecutors’ case was largely built on online messages cherry-picked out of context.

The charges against leaders of the Oath Keepers and another far-right extremist group, the Proud Boys, are among the most serious brought in the Justice Department’s sprawling riot investigation. Prosecutors have also won seditious conspiracy convictions in the case against former Proud Boys national chairman Enrique Tarrio and three other group leaders in what prosecutors said was a separate plot to keep Trump in the White House.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/2-oath-keepers-who-helped-amass-guns-before-jan-6-attack-sentenced-to-prison

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1354 on: June 13, 2023, 09:15:28 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1355 on: June 14, 2023, 05:00:10 AM »
Court postpones Capitol riot sentencing of Kyle Fitzsimons from today, til next July 13. Feds recommend 15+ years in prison, arguing he committed 5 "separate violent assaults" against police.

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1356 on: June 15, 2023, 12:30:25 AM »
Lindsey Graham says "Republicans won't accept" a January 6th indictment for Criminal Donald. :D :D :D

Who cares what "Republicans won't accept". Does what "Republicans want" outweigh the rule of law? Of course not.

Seriously, none of these Trump defenders ever proclaim Trump to be innocent. All they do is attack their opponents and the justice system for applying the rule of law to their criminal cult leader. And that's not a defense.

Republicans simply do not want Trump to be prosecuted for him crimes, but Republicans go after their Democratic opponents based on conspiracy theories and false allegations threatening to prosecute them and throw them in jail. It's so pathetic.

Lindsey Graham and the rest of these right wingers are scared to death of a January 6th indictment because the Republicans had a major hand in the coup plot to steal the presidency from Biden and the majority of Americans. They know that Republicans are going to get wrapped up in the indictment as well.

Did these right wingers actually believe that nothing was going to happen to Trump and his co-conspirators for committing treason against the United States for attempting steal an election from the American people by fraud and violent force? 

Note to Lindsey: You have a weak pathetic argument and when a serious crime has been committed you'll get convicted, regardless of your political affiliation. 

'Major outrage': Lindsey Graham warns that Republicans won't accept Jan. 6 indictment for Trump

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) warned that Republicans wouldn't accept an indictment of Donald Trump on charges related to the Jan. 6 insurrection.

Graham gave an impassioned speech hours after Trump supporters stormed into the U.S. Capitol to prevent the certification of President Joe Biden's election win, saying "count me out" of efforts to keep him in the White House – but he's since changed his tune.

The South Carolina Republican told CNN that the former president shouldn't be prosecuted for his role in the insurrection.

"If the special counsel indicts President Trump in Washington, DC for anything related to Jan. 6, that will be considered a major outrage by Republicans because you could convict any Republican of anything in Washington D.C.," Graham said. "I fear that's where this is going, as sort of an insurance policy."

Watch: https://twitter.com/i/status/1669023849533394944

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1356 on: June 15, 2023, 12:30:25 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1357 on: June 15, 2023, 08:39:25 AM »
Republican Senator Lindsey Graham had dinner with the Proud Boys leader Joe Biggs who was convicted for seditious conspiracy against the United States. Members of the Republican party associated with domestic terrorists before the January 6th insurrection.

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1358 on: June 15, 2023, 10:33:04 PM »
Worcester roommates arrested in FBI's Jan. 6 investigation

While inside the Capitol, prosecutors say, Long Duong and Julie Miller made their way into the Senate parliamentarian's office

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/worcester-roommates-arrested-in-fbis-jan-6-investigation/3069090/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1359 on: June 16, 2023, 08:51:04 AM »
New footage reveals how violent Capitol rioters overwhelmed police on January 6

On January 6, 2021, following the defeat of Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election, a mob of his supporters attacked the United States Capitol Building in Washington, D.C.

Watch:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1359 on: June 16, 2023, 08:51:04 AM »