Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: 1/6 Insurrection Investigation  (Read 80869 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: 1/6 Insurrection Investigation
« Reply #960 on: August 12, 2022, 06:46:19 AM »
Advertisement
TODAY:  Feds to seek 10-month prison sentence in Jan 6 case of Glen Simon, who's accused of lying to FBI..and saying this at Capitol while confronting police "We bust in this b*** and show ‘em who the f*****g boss really is"

(He already had pending battery charge before Jan 6)

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #960 on: August 12, 2022, 06:46:19 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #961 on: August 12, 2022, 06:51:35 AM »
Thomas Robertson, the former Virginia police officer, convicted at trial — and who allegedly lied about his military service — is sentenced to approximately 7 years in prison.

]

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #962 on: August 13, 2022, 07:44:56 AM »
Ex-police officer who saw himself as pro-Trump 'counter insurgency' sentenced to 87 months in prison in Jan. 6 case

A judge said he believed Thomas Robertson would answer the "call to duty" if another event like Jan. 6 were to happen.

WASHINGTON — A former Virginia police officer convicted of six counts for his role in the Capitol riot was sentenced Thursday to more than seven years in prison.

Thomas Robertson, who served until his arrest as an officer with the Rocky Mount Police Department, appeared before U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper on Thursday afternoon. In April, Robertson was the second Capitol riot defendant to go to trial, after Texas Three Percenter Guy Reffitt. A jury ultimately convicted him of all six counts against him:

- Obstruction of an official proceeding
- Civil disorder
- Entering and remaining in a restricted building with a dangerous weapon
- Disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building
- Violent entry and disorderly conduct in a Capitol building
- Tampering with a document or proceeding

At trial, prosecutors said Robertson, who also served in the U.S. Army and overseas as a contractor for the military, had worked himself up into a willingness to commit violence after former President Donald Trump’s defeat in the 2020 election. In one Facebook post they showed jurors, Robertson wrote, “I’ve spent most of my adult life fighting a counter insurgency. I’m about to become part of one, and a very effective one.”

On Thursday, prosecutors also presented evidence Robertson had a pattern of lying about his military credentials, saying he’d falsely told the court and others he was an Army Ranger, despite never graduating from Ranger school, and that he’d falsely claimed he had received a Purple Heart. The Stolen Valor Act makes it a crime to fraudulently claim to receive certain military decorations, including the Purple Heart, for personal gain. Prosecutors told Cooper they couldn’t comment about whether the Justice Department was investigating Robertson for those claims.

Government says in its sentencing memo that Thomas Robertson has repeatedly mischaracterized his military service, claiming to be a U.S. Army Ranger despite never graduating Ranger school and falsely claiming to have been awarded a Purple Heart.

It was Robertson’s post-arrest conduct, however, that drew the most concern from Cooper. At Thursday’s hearing, assistant U.S. attorney Liz Aloi highlighted messages Robertson sent to the former police chief of Boone’s Mill, Virginia, after FBI agents searched his property in March.

“I’m not planning on doing anything crazy, but I am done being civil about it,” Robertson wrote. “If they come here again, many will die. Possibly me, definitely many of them.”

Later in the same message, Robertson said, “I can kill every agent that they send for probably two weeks.”

Robertson was initially granted pretrial release, but Cooper ordered him back into custody last July when Robertson purchased more than 30 firearms while awaiting trial. Federal law makes it a crime to ship or transport firearms or ammunition while under indictment for a crime with a maximum sentence of more than 1 year in prison. Aloi said the matter was still under investigation by the DOJ.

Before handing down his sentence, Cooper told Robertson he didn’t believe he’d accepted responsibility for his actions. And, he said, he didn’t believe he’d sworn off violence.

“I read this stuff and it seems like you really think of partisan politics as war,” Cooper said. “I sincerely believe you would answer a call to duty if something like this were to happen again.”

Cooper ordered Robertson to serve 87 months in prison, tying him with Reffitt, who was sentenced last week, for the longest sentence handed down to date in a Capitol riot case. Robertson will also have to pay $2,000 in restitution for damage to the U.S. Capitol Building, which is the standard amount in Jan. 6 felony cases. He’ll receive credit for the approximately 12 months he’s served in pretrial detention since he was ordered back into custody last summer.

Robertson’s co-defendant Jacob Fracker, who testified against him at trial, was scheduled to be sentenced next week. Fracker pleaded guilty in March to one count of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding.

Watch:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #962 on: August 13, 2022, 07:44:56 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #963 on: August 13, 2022, 10:40:25 PM »
Here’s what we know so far about Alex Jones’ role in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol

Congressional investigators hoped that volumes of phone texts that conspiracy theorist Alex Jones accidentally turned over to opposing counsel in civil litigation would yield answers about his involvement in the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, but the texts reportedly only cover a period through mid-2020.

Mark Bankston, who represents the parents of the children murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary in 2012, has reportedly said the cache includes texts with political operative Roger Stone, a longtime friend of former President Donald Trump who, alongside Jones, became a major tribune of the campaign to overturn the 2020 election. The effort by the House select committee to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol to obtain the texts highlights the panel’s sustained interest in Jones’ role.

To date, Jones has not been charged in the attack, but he has played prominent roles in amplifying the messaging of the campaign to overturn the election and building the infrastructure of the protests in the run-up to the attack, culminating in his presence on the ground at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

The committee’s interest in Jones was on display during a hearing on July 12 through recorded testimony of Kellye SoRelle, general counsel for the Oath Keepers. Nine members of the far-right militia face seditious conspiracy charges. SoRelle confirmed that Jones’ name was among three prominent figureheads during the series of protests leading up to Jan. 6.

“You mentioned that Mr. Stone wanted to start the Stop the Steal rallies,” the investigator said. “Who do you consider the leader of those rallies? It sounds like, from what you just said, it was Mr. Stone, Mr. Jones and Mr. Ali Alexander. Is that correct?”

“Those are the ones that became like the center point for everything,” SoRelle responded.

Alex Jones could not be reached for comment for this story.

Through his show on the InfoWars platform, Jones provided a venue for two of the most inspirational figures involved in rallying Trump’s supporters — Stone and retired Lt. General Michael Flynn. But Jones also leveraged his celebrity and following to do his own part in mobilizing Trump’s supporters, and in spreading wild and unfounded claims about election fraud.

In a letter to Jones accompanying a subpoena compelling him to testify and turn over records, the committee took note of a Dec. 20, 2020 broadcast of “The Alex Jones Show,” one day after Trump issued a tweet summoning his supporters to DC for a “wild” rally on Jan. 6.

“He’s calling on you now,” Jones told his audience. “He needs your help. We need your help. America needs to stand up.” Jones said he wanted to see 10 million people in Washington, DC on Jan. 6, adding, “We’re going to descend on the swamp January 6th. The president is going to be attending the rallies. He’s announcing he’s going to be there. This is going to be massive.”

On Dec. 29, Jones homed in on an objective for the Jan. 6 rally, scheduled to coincide with Congress’ session to certify the electoral votes.

“Well, let’s just say you’re going to want to go to DC on the 6th,” Jones said. “It will show the globalists we know Trump really won. And it will begin the process one way or another of removing the globalist puppet Joe Biden. And I mean by impeachment or keeping him from getting in on the 20th.”

Filling in for Jones on New Year’s Eve, guest host Matt Bracken added tactical specificity to the mission.

“We’re only going to be saved by millions of Americans by moving to Washington, occupying the entire area, if necessary, storming right into the Capitol,” Bracken said. “We know the rules of engagement. If you have enough people, you can push down any kind of fence or a wall.”

Amplifying the false claims of election fraud during an InfoWars broadcast on Christmas day, Jones offered his audience a fantastical and nightmarish description of the election that was unsupported by any evidence.

“They close everything out, kick everyone out, pull out briefcases,” he said. “Chinese men and vans come in Michigan and start just shoving it in the machine. We get the footage showing it all. They’re death-threating witnesses. They’re arresting witnesses.”

Weeks before the 2020 election was held, Stone appeared as a guest on Jones’ show on Sept. 10, 2020. There, Stone previewed an election-fraud narrative and called for martial law that would become familiar during the interregnum between the election and Jan. 6.

“The ballots on election night in Nevada should be seized by federal marshals and taken from the state,” Stone said. “They are completely corrupted. No votes should be counted from the state of Nevada if it turns out to be the provable case. We can prove voter fraud in the absentees right now. Send federal marshals to the Clark County Board of Elections, Mr. President. It’s all there.”

Prompted by Jones’ insistence that “it’s clear they think they can steal it,” Stone recommended that Trump appoint a special counsel “with a specific task of forming an election-day operation using the FBI, federal marshals and Republican state officials across the country to be prepared to file legal objections and, if necessary, physically stand in the way of criminal activity.”

On the eve of the attack on the Capitol, Stone interviewed Flynn, Trump’s former national security advisor, at the Willard hotel.

Declaring that “there’s a DNA in the American psyche” that “goes all the way back to 1776” — referring to the Revolutionary War — Flynn reeled off a string of baseless claims of election fraud.

“Everybody in this country, everybody in the world knows that this election on the third of November was a total rip-off,” Flynn said. “It was a fraudulent election. We have had foreign interference from multiple countries — I’ll rattle ’em off if you want to get into that — and Donald Trump was the clear winner. For the next four days after the third of November — from about the 4th through the 7th, 8th of November — they just started stuffing the ballot boxes. And everybody knows it, and they got caught.”

The January 6th Committee has also signaled its awareness of Jones’ involvement in organizing the rallies surrounding the mobilization on Jan. 6. Citing press reports and Jones’ own statements, Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), the committee chairman, mentioned in his public letter that Jones worked with two women, Cindy Chafian and Caroline Wren to organize the Jan. 6 rally at the Ellipse, and helped line up a funder, Publix heiress Julie Fancelli, to cover “eighty percent” of the cost.

Jones reportedly said after his testimony earlier this year that the January 6th Committee has already obtained text messages between him and Wren, a former campaign fundraiser who Jones identified as his “White House connection.”

Through Jones’ testimony in January, the committee also confirmed that Jones was on at least familiar terms with the leaders of the neo-fascist street brawling group the Proud Boys, who, like the Oath Keepers, face charges of seditious conspiracy. Jones disclosed that after a rally at the Georgia state capitol in Atlanta in November 2020, he saw Proud Boys at Hooters who were “drinking beer and ate cheeseburgers.” A photo posted on Telegram by Jeremy Bertino, a high-profile Proud Boy who has not been charged in connection with the Jan. 6 attack, shows Jones seated between Bertino and national chairman Enrique Tarrio.

While Jones has so far avoided criminal charges for his role in the events of Jan. 6, two InfoWars personnel — host Owen Shroyer and correspondent Samuel Montoya — have been arrested. Shroyer is charged with knowingly entering or remaining on restricted grounds and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, while Montoya is charged with entering and remaining in a restricted building and disorderly and disruptive conduct, among other offenses.

Erika Wulff Jones, Alex Jones’ wife, went to the Capitol separately from her husband on Jan. 6, riding on the back of a golf cart with Cindy Chafian.

Alex Jones traveled with another contingent to the Capitol, as the January 6th Committee noted in its letter to him. Jones has said that the “White House” told him that after the rally at the Ellipse ended, he was tasked to lead a march to the Capitol where Trump would meet them. While Trump never made it, Jones, Shroyer and Ali Alexander marched to the Capitol.

“Go to the other side of the Capitol,” Jones said, leading the marchers to the east side of the Capitol. “That’s where Trump’s going to be.”

Read More Here: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/08/us/politics/alex-jones-text-messages.html

Republicans 'have blood on their hands': J6 member says Cincinnati gunman is dead because he 'believed the lies'

Toxic rhetoric by Republicans following an FBI execution of a search warrant at Mar-a-Lago is responsible for the death of the Ohio man who allegedly attacked the FBI field office in Cincinnati, according to a member of the House Select Committee Investigating the Jan. 6 Attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Ricky Shiffer, 42, was reportedly at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 and an account on Donald Trump's Truth Social website appeared to post between his attack and his final, fatal encounter with law enforcement.

"Well, I thought I had a way through bullet proof glass, and I didn't. If you don't hear from me, it is true I tried attacking the F.B.I., and it'll mean either I was taken off the internet, the F.B.I. got me, or they sent the regular cops while —" the post ended, apparently mid sentence.

The same account posted angry posts on Truth Social the day after the search warrant was executed.

"People, this is it," the account warned. "I hope a call to arms comes from someone better qualified, but if not, this is your call to arms from me. Leave work tomorrow as soon as the gun shop/Army-Navy store/pawn shop opens, get whatever you need to be ready for combat. We must not tolerate this one."

Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-FL), a member of the select committee, spoke with Raw Story about the impact of the GOP attacks on the FBI.

"What I am worried about is the irresponsible language that elected officials who have a platform are using, that is causing — that caused people to show up here on Jan. 6 and engage in violence against law enforcement officers," Murphy said.

"I am concerned that the same language on the very same channels at the same level, maybe even higher this time, is going to result in people losing their lives," she said.

"And we already saw that happen once, with the Cincinnati shooting," Murphy continued. "This person believed the lies that were sold to him by people in positions of power, he acted on it and committed crimes and as a result lost his life."

"I think that elected officials who have a platform also have a responsibility to be careful about their language. And so, perpetrating these lies, they have blood on their hands," Murphy concluded.

https://www.rawstory.com/cincinnati-gunman-is-because-he-believed-the-lies-j6-member-says-republicans-have-blood-on-their-hands/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #964 on: August 14, 2022, 10:20:53 AM »
GOP's Scott Perry flees questions about FBI seizing his phone and searching Trump's home

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA) ran away from reporters' questions about FBI agents seizing his phone and searching for purported nuclear weapons documents at Donald Trump's private residence.

The Pennsylvania Republican, who was identified in House select committee testimony as playing a central role in the false electors scheme, said earlier this week that investigators had taken his cell phone seeking evidence in the Jan. 6 case, but he told The Raw Story that he was not a target.

"I'm not a target of the investigation," Perry said. "That's directly from my lawyers, from DOJ. I don't know what it's about or why they are interested."

The lawmaker declined to say whether investigators were acting in good faith as he sped through the U.S. Capitol away from reporters, and he declined to say whether GOP rhetoric had motivated an Ohio man to attack the FBI office in Cincinnati three days after the Mar-A-Lago search.

"I'm not going to honor the question with an answer," Perry said.

Perry also declined to answer questions about the materials FBI agents are believed to have been looking for when they executed a search warrant.

"You have to talk to the president," Perry said, racing away as reporters asked when was the last time he spoke to Trump.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said Thursday he had "personally approved" the dramatic raid on Donald Trump's Florida home and, in a highly unusual move, was requesting the warrant justifying the search be made public.

The country's top prosecutor did not reveal the reason for the unprecedented search of the residence of a former American president, and condemned "unfounded attacks" on the FBI and the Justice Department that followed it.

"I personally approved the decision to seek a search warrant," Garland told reporters. "The department does not take such a decision lightly."

"The search warrant was authorized by a federal court upon the required finding of probable cause," he said.

While noting that "ethical obligations" prevented him detailing the basis of the raid, Garland said he had asked a Florida judge to unseal the warrant because Trump had publicly confirmed the search and because of the "substantial public interest in this matter."

AFP

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #964 on: August 14, 2022, 10:20:53 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #965 on: August 14, 2022, 10:25:33 AM »
Feds to seek 5-month prison term for Capitol riot defendant Lewis Cantwell, arguing he "chose to join in by urging rioters to get the doors to the building open, calling for 'fresh patriots to the front' and participating in the mob rocking back and forth against the police".

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #966 on: August 14, 2022, 10:32:53 AM »
Attorney for Jan 6 defendant Kene Lazo requests leniency at next week's sentencing hearing, opening court filing with lengthy details of Trump falsehoods: "Mr. Lazo believed every word".

Lazo carried Captain America shield on Jan 6 and was arrested in Aug 2021 for domestic violence.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #966 on: August 14, 2022, 10:32:53 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #967 on: August 15, 2022, 07:07:48 AM »
Rep. Lofgren (D-CA) on what’s next for Jan 6 committee: 'This is an active investigation and a lot more information is coming in to us.'

January 6 Committee Member Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) speaks with Lindsey Reiser about her reaction to what we've learned from the Mar-a-Lago search and what’s ahead for the January 6 Committee investigation.

Watch: https://www.msnbc.com/yasmin-vossoughian-reports/watch/rep-lofgren-d-ca-on-what-s-next-for-jan-6-committee-this-is-an-active-investigation-and-a-lot-more-information-is-coming-in-to-us-146153541911