Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Who Killed J.D. Tippit?  (Read 65703 times)

Offline Martin Weidmann

Re: Who Killed J.D. Tippit?
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2023, 12:48:32 AM »
Advertisement
What if the wallet belonged to someone they knew was at the scene, like Ted Callaway? He certainly would have attracted police interest, as he'd been riding around the 'hood with Scoggins, bearing the dead officer's pistol.

If a photo ID of Oswald or Hidell was in the wallet, as it seems it was, just how big, do you think, are the odds they would consider Callaway as the potential owner?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2023, 12:48:32 AM »

Offline Zeon Mason

« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2023, 03:28:36 AM »
Question is if these eyewitnesses would have pointed out Oswald in a line up if there were 7-8 other men of similar appearance, w/ same T-shirt and ALL were made up with a simulated bruised eye and a cut over the eye.

And all were equally complaining about the line up or whenever Oswald acted out, one or more of them would act out also.

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2023, 03:45:19 PM »
Barrett was probably asked by Westbrook about the Oswald/Hidell names once they were back at headquarters.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2023, 03:45:19 PM »

Offline Martin Weidmann

« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2023, 03:58:11 PM »
Barrett was probably asked by Westbrook about the Oswald/Hidell names once they were back at headquarters.

Probably?

What is the basis for this assumption?

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2023, 04:57:57 PM »
If you believe Barrett, he was asked at the Tippit murder scene if he knew an Oswald or Hidell:

"The first officer on the Tippit murder scene was Dallas Police Sergeant Kenneth H. Croy, who arrived as the ambulance was picking up Tippit’s body. Croy told an interviewer that an unknown man handed him Oswald’s wallet right after his arrival. The witnesses who preceded Croy at the crime scene were adamant that no one dropped a wallet anywhere in the vicinity.

The wallet wound up in the hands of Captain Pinky Westbrook. FBI agent Bob Barrett recalled that Westbrook turned to him at the scene and asked, ‘You ever heard of a Lee Harvey Oswald?’ I said, ‘No, I never have.’ He said ‘How about an Alek Hidell?’ I said, ‘No. I never have heard of him either,'” Barrett explained."

https://jfkfacts.org/oswalds-wallet-planted-at-the-tippit-crime-scene/
Barrett is the only source that Westbrook --or anyone else-- said anything about Oswald or Hidell at the crime scene before Oswald was arrested. And Barrett didn't start saying this until decades later.

Morley uses the WFAA/Rookstool story that they later quietly backed away from. That happened because a number of researchers pointed out the differences between the wallet seen in the film and the Oswald wallet in the National Archives, which precluded one from being the other. Rookstool says he has a photo onto which Croy wrote that her was give Oswald's wallet. But I can't say I've ever seen a copy of this version of the photo, nor has Rookstool, Croy, or anyone else said how Croy would have known the wallet was Oswald's or anyone else's.

About a dozen years ago, I went round and round with John Canal over the location of the BOH wound over at a.a.jfk. At one point, Canal proudly posted that he'd met with John Stringer, the autopsy photographer, at Stringer's house to present the Canal theory of the BOH wound. Part of Mr. Canal's fairly-involved theory was that the BOH photos were taken at the very end of the autopsy. Canal proudly informed everyone that Stringer had confirmed that the BOH photos were indeed taken at the very end of the autopsy.

I promptly reminded to Canal that, a dozen years before, Stringer had told the ARRB that the BOH photos were taken at the beginning of the autopsy, and that I doubted that Stringer's memory had improved with age.

I suspect that the Canal presented his case with enough gusto and enthusiasm that it started to override Stringer's increasingly dim memories of an even that occurred decades before. That can happen to Croy or other witnesses, too. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2023, 04:57:57 PM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2023, 04:58:48 PM »
If a photo ID of Oswald or Hidell was in the wallet, as it seems it was, just how big, do you think, are the odds they would consider Callaway as the potential owner?
Who said that the wallet had a photo ID of Oswald or Hidell or anyone else?

Offline Martin Weidmann

« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2023, 06:07:54 PM »
Barrett is the only source that Westbrook --or anyone else-- said anything about Oswald or Hidell at the crime scene before Oswald was arrested. And Barrett didn't start saying this until decades later.

Morley uses the WFAA/Rookstool story that they later quietly backed away from. That happened because a number of researchers pointed out the differences between the wallet seen in the film and the Oswald wallet in the National Archives, which precluded one from being the other. Rookstool says he has a photo onto which Croy wrote that her was give Oswald's wallet. But I can't say I've ever seen a copy of this version of the photo, nor has Rookstool, Croy, or anyone else said how Croy would have known the wallet was Oswald's or anyone else's.

About a dozen years ago, I went round and round with John Canal over the location of the BOH wound over at a.a.jfk. At one point, Canal proudly posted that he'd met with John Stringer, the autopsy photographer, at Stringer's house to present the Canal theory of the BOH wound. Part of Mr. Canal's fairly-involved theory was that the BOH photos were taken at the very end of the autopsy. Canal proudly informed everyone that Stringer had confirmed that the BOH photos were indeed taken at the very end of the autopsy.

I promptly reminded to Canal that, a dozen years before, Stringer had told the ARRB that the BOH photos were taken at the beginning of the autopsy, and that I doubted that Stringer's memory had improved with age.

I suspect that the Canal presented his case with enough gusto and enthusiasm that it started to override Stringer's increasingly dim memories of an even that occurred decades before. That can happen to Croy or other witnesses, too.

Barrett is the only source

That's one more than the LNs have to support all their desperate speculation about it not being an Oswald wallet.

And Barrett didn't start saying this until decades later.

So what's your point? I you have one, that is....

Offline Martin Weidmann

« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2023, 06:18:53 PM »
Who said that the wallet had a photo ID of Oswald or Hidell or anyone else?

First of all, I started the sentence with the word "If". Did you miss that?

Secondly, let me put it like this; The fake Hidell ID has Oswald's photo on it. That's a fact. Bentley, who took the wallet from Oswald in the car, after his arrest, said nothing about an Hidell ID. No DPD report filed by any of the officers in the car with Oswald mentions the name Hidell, despite the fact that it is crucial evidence as it would link Oswald to the name on the order forms for the rifle and revolver. All this, and the interview Bentley gave on TV about the content of the wallet, justifies the conclusion that the Hidell ID was not in the wallet that Bentley took from Oswald.

Gus Rose was given a wallet, by an unidentified officer, who told him it was Oswald's, just like what happened with the jacket (Go figure!). And low and behold in that wallet there was this fake Hidell ID with Oswald's photo. IIRC Bentley was injured during the arrest and was taken to hospital as soon as the car arrived at City Hall. When he came back from hospital he still had the wallet he took from Oswald on his person.

So, how did this unidentified officer manage to give a wallet with an Hidell ID to Gus Rose, who was the first to talk to Oswald after his arrival at the DPD HQ?

The only logical explanation, IMO, for that ID being in the wallet is that Rose was given the wallet which Barrett said Westbrook was looking at when he asked him about knowing Oswald or Hidell.

Or can you come up with another explanation?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 11:18:08 PM by Martin Weidmann »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2023, 06:18:53 PM »