Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The Walker Case  (Read 25543 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: The Walker Case
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2023, 05:52:49 PM »
Advertisement
Howard Willens, on pp. 91-92 of his book “History Will Prove Us Right”, writes the following interesting passages:

Oswald’s note wasn’t his only link to the Walker shooting. Investigators had found photographs of the general’s home among Oswald’s possessions, and firearms identification experts told the commission that the bullet recovered at the Walker scene was the same type of ammunition used in the assassination. On the commission staff, we thought that the Walker incident provided strong circumstantial evidence that Oswald had the determination and mental capacity required to plan an assassination and was willing to kill if he thought he had sufficient reason to do so. As to what those reasons were in the case of Walker, Marina Oswald told the commission that her husband thought the general “was a very bad man, that he was a fascist, that he was the leader of a fascist organization, and when I said that even though all of that might be true, just the same he had no right to take his life, he said if someone had killed Hitler in time it would have saved many lives.”13
At this early stage of our investigation, we were struck by certain aspects of the Walker attempt that might shed light on Oswald’s culpability in President Kennedy’s death. Many of the conspiracy theories about the assassination were based on the assumption that Oswald simply lacked the capacity to shoot the president without the assistance of others. As the details of the Walker attempt unfolded, we came to believe that some characteristics of Oswald’s behavior relating to the Walker incident challenged this assumption.
Oswald Planned Carefully: The notebook and photographs found in Oswald’s home indicated meticulous planning for Walker’s assassination. Oswald had studied Dallas bus routes, which he subsequently used. He took photographs of Walker’s house and possible locations for burying his rifle both before and after the attempt. And, of course, there was the note left for his wife with detailed instructions for her to follow in the event he did not return home.
Oswald Planned No Escape: Oswald faced the possibility that he might be apprehended for this attempt on Walker’s life. His note advised his wife where he would be imprisoned if he was captured. He also contemplated that he might die as a result of this plan, and advised his wife regarding the money he left for her, what bills had been paid, and the assistance that friends or the Red Cross might provide her in his absence.
Oswald Left a Historical Record: In his note Oswald advised his wife to send any information in the newspapers about him to the Soviet embassy, which he said “would come quickly to your aid once they know everything.” He posed for two pictures with his recently acquired rifle and pistol and copies of issues of The Worker and The Militant. Although he destroyed most of the notebook about his planning for the Walker attempt, he did not destroy the note that he left for his wife or some of the pictures that he had pasted in the notebook. He told her that he “wanted to leave a complete record so that all the details would be in it.” This concern for his place in history seemed to be an important factor to consider in assessing possible motivation for the Kennedy assassination.14
Oswald Acted Alone: The commission and staff were well aware by this time of the widespread public perception that Oswald might have been part of a conspiracy of some kind. It was important to us, therefore, that we found no indication that Oswald had any assistance in planning for this attempt on Walker’s life, in the attempt itself, or in its aftermath. His note to his wife and his conversations with her after the unsuccessful attempt never hinted of the involvement of anyone else. I am sure I was not alone in thinking: “This Walker incident is really interesting. With all the possibilities of conspiracy that have been swirling around the Kennedy assassination, Oswald seemed to have acted entirely on his own in the Walker case. Although it doesn’t prove anything about the Kennedy assassination, it certainly suggests that it could have been a lone operation as well.”

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2023, 05:52:49 PM »

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2023, 06:04:09 PM »
Howard Willens, on pp. 91-92 of his book “History Will Prove Us Right”, writes the following interesting passages:

Oswald’s note wasn’t his only link to the Walker shooting. Investigators had found photographs of the general’s home among Oswald’s possessions, and firearms identification experts told the commission that the bullet recovered at the Walker scene was the same type of ammunition used in the assassination. On the commission staff, we thought that the Walker incident provided strong circumstantial evidence that Oswald had the determination and mental capacity required to plan an assassination and was willing to kill if he thought he had sufficient reason to do so. As to what those reasons were in the case of Walker, Marina Oswald told the commission that her husband thought the general “was a very bad man, that he was a fascist, that he was the leader of a fascist organization, and when I said that even though all of that might be true, just the same he had no right to take his life, he said if someone had killed Hitler in time it would have saved many lives.”13
At this early stage of our investigation, we were struck by certain aspects of the Walker attempt that might shed light on Oswald’s culpability in President Kennedy’s death. Many of the conspiracy theories about the assassination were based on the assumption that Oswald simply lacked the capacity to shoot the president without the assistance of others. As the details of the Walker attempt unfolded, we came to believe that some characteristics of Oswald’s behavior relating to the Walker incident challenged this assumption.
Oswald Planned Carefully: The notebook and photographs found in Oswald’s home indicated meticulous planning for Walker’s assassination. Oswald had studied Dallas bus routes, which he subsequently used. He took photographs of Walker’s house and possible locations for burying his rifle both before and after the attempt. And, of course, there was the note left for his wife with detailed instructions for her to follow in the event he did not return home.
Oswald Planned No Escape: Oswald faced the possibility that he might be apprehended for this attempt on Walker’s life. His note advised his wife where he would be imprisoned if he was captured. He also contemplated that he might die as a result of this plan, and advised his wife regarding the money he left for her, what bills had been paid, and the assistance that friends or the Red Cross might provide her in his absence.
Oswald Left a Historical Record: In his note Oswald advised his wife to send any information in the newspapers about him to the Soviet embassy, which he said “would come quickly to your aid once they know everything.” He posed for two pictures with his recently acquired rifle and pistol and copies of issues of The Worker and The Militant. Although he destroyed most of the notebook about his planning for the Walker attempt, he did not destroy the note that he left for his wife or some of the pictures that he had pasted in the notebook. He told her that he “wanted to leave a complete record so that all the details would be in it.” This concern for his place in history seemed to be an important factor to consider in assessing possible motivation for the Kennedy assassination.14
Oswald Acted Alone: The commission and staff were well aware by this time of the widespread public perception that Oswald might have been part of a conspiracy of some kind. It was important to us, therefore, that we found no indication that Oswald had any assistance in planning for this attempt on Walker’s life, in the attempt itself, or in its aftermath. His note to his wife and his conversations with her after the unsuccessful attempt never hinted of the involvement of anyone else. I am sure I was not alone in thinking: “This Walker incident is really interesting. With all the possibilities of conspiracy that have been swirling around the Kennedy assassination, Oswald seemed to have acted entirely on his own in the Walker case. Although it doesn’t prove anything about the Kennedy assassination, it certainly suggests that it could have been a lone operation as well.”

Admittedly I'm an amateur at at this (I'm going to assume everyone reading this is one too; but maybe not) but if I'm going to frame Oswald for shooting Walker and plant a note pointing to his act I'm going to put IN THE NOTE that he went to shoot Walker. Why manufacture a fake note and not explicitly include that element in the phony document?

The usual suspects will not start their hand waving and diversions from the point.

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2023, 07:46:08 PM »

Although it doesn’t prove anything about the Kennedy assassination

Enough said   Thumb1:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2023, 07:46:08 PM »

Online John Mytton

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2023, 12:04:42 AM »
Although it doesn’t prove anything about the Kennedy assassination

Enough said   Thumb1:

Vincent Bugliosi doesn't mention Lee Harvey Oswald's assassination attempt of Major General Edwin Walker in his 53 pieces of evidence against Lee Harvey Oswald but in Vincent Bugliosi's Reclaiming History's very important chapter on Motive, the Major General Edwin Walker murder attempt gets star billing.

Here is someone who, as I point out in the “Motive” section of this book, not only had a propensity for violence (his attempted murder of Major General Edwin Walker seven months before the assassination, his threat to blow up the FBI building around two weeks before November 22,1963), but also was emotionally and psychologically unhinged; was a bitter, frustrated, and beaten-down loser who felt alienated from society and couldn’t get along with anyone, including his wife; irrationally viewed himself in a historical light, having visions of grandeur and of changing the world; was one whose political ideology consumed his daily life, causing him to keep time to his own drummer in a lonely obsession with Marxism and Castro’s Cuba; and hated his country and its representatives to such an extent that he defected to one of the most undesirable places on earth. If someone with not just one but all of these characteristics is not the most likely candidate to be a presidential assassin, then who would be?

Another important factor the Warren Commission and HSCA cited as probably contributing to Oswald’s pulling the trigger was this: he clearly had, as the Warren Commission put it, a “capacity for violence.”40 Perhaps nearly all of us are capable of killing a fellow human being (e.g., in self-defense), but I have never believed that we are all capable of murder. This is why the percentage of murderers among us is an infinitesimal fraction of 1 percent. Oswald fell into this exclusive, as it were, class of humans. His attempt, just seven months earlier, to kill Major General Edwin A. Walker clearly showed his propensity for murder, at least where his target was political.

RHVB

JohnM
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 12:08:27 AM by John Mytton »

Online John Iacoletti

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2023, 12:06:19 AM »
Admittedly I'm an amateur at at this (I'm going to assume everyone reading this is one too; but maybe not) but if I'm going to frame Oswald for shooting Walker and plant a note pointing to his act I'm going to put IN THE NOTE that he went to shoot Walker. Why manufacture a fake note and not explicitly include that element in the phony document?

So if it wasn’t fake or planted, then the undated note that doesn’t mention Walker or shooting must therefore be about shooting Walker?

Really?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2023, 12:06:19 AM »

Online John Iacoletti

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2023, 12:10:07 AM »
Vincent Bugliosi doesn't mention Lee Harvey Oswald's assassination attempt of General Walker in his 53 pieces of evidence against Oswald but in Bugliosi's Reclaiming History's very important chapter on Motive, the Walker murder attempt gets star billing.

Instead of just spewing Bugliosi like verses of scripture, why don’t you tell us how Vince’s speculation is any more relevant than anyone else’s speculation?

Online John Mytton

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2023, 12:11:38 AM »

The usual suspects will not start their hand waving and diversions from the point.

but if I'm going to frame Oswald for shooting Walker and plant a note pointing to his act I'm going to put IN THE NOTE that he went to shoot Walker. Why manufacture a fake note and not explicitly include that element in the phony document?

BRAVO, Excellent point!!!

JohnM

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2023, 12:11:38 AM »

Offline Jon Banks

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2023, 07:02:29 PM »
We're supposed to be believe that the same guy who:

- brought a long paper bag to work
- successfully hit the President who was sitting in a moving car from a distance
- left his rifle at the crime scene

Also:
- traveled miles to Edwin Walker's home with a rifle without being seen by any witnesses
- shot at Walker but missed
- brought his rifle back home (traveled a few miles each way) without being seen by any witnesses

Help me make sense of the inconsistency.  :-\

LHO very well MAY have attempted to kill Edwin Walker but the evidence implicating him in that crime is far from a slam dunk. In fact, there's really no evidence that directly connects Oswald to the Walker shooting.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 07:03:14 PM by Jon Banks »