Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The rifle Oswald should have used  (Read 7015 times)

Offline Joe Elliott

Re: The rifle Oswald should have used
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 06:59:00 AM »
Advertisement

According to the Oswald did it believers...The Carcano reigned supreme. One could not have asked for a better weapon. You can fire one with your teeth like Jimi Hendrix and bull's eyed from 300 yards!
Of course no one else ever did it.... but Oswald could [so they say]

No one says that. And Michael Yardley certainly shot more accurately than Oswald. 16 shots, 16 hits on a moving target the size of a melon. But CTers will still be saying ‘no one else has ever done that’ 100 years from now.

Oswald was trained to hit targets at 200, 300 and 500 yards. When he passed his initial firing tests in 1956, he scored higher than most recruits who passed. And he did so on his first attempt. Most recruits were rated Marksman, the lowest rating. Oswald was rated Sharpshooter, the next highest. In his retest three years later, he still qualified as Marksman on his first attempt, which is what most Marines did in the 1950’s.

The Carcano rifle was perfectly adequate up to 218 yards. The best in the world? No. But perfectly adequate.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 06:59:00 AM »

Offline Frederick Clements

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »
"We don't have any proof that Oswald fired the rifle, and never did. Nobody's yet been able to put him in that building with a gun in his hand." -  Jesse Curry

Fred

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »
"We don't have any proof that Oswald fired the rifle, and never did. Nobody's yet been able to put him in that building with a gun in his hand." -  Jesse Curry

Fred

That quote wasn't in Curry's book but Curry did write in his book that they were satisfied that there was enough accumulated evidence to warrant the filing of a charge of murder against Lee Harvey Oswald for the death of Police Officer J. D. Tippit.

JohnM

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »
That quote wasn't in Curry's book but Curry did write in his book that they were satisfied that there was enough accumulated evidence to warrant the filing of a charge of murder against Lee Harvey Oswald for the death of Police Officer J. D. Tippit.

JohnM

“I haven’t committed any acts of violence.”  - LHO

You have to be extremely gullible to buy that tale.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:56:17 PM by Charles Collins »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
No one says that.  Michael Yardley certainly shot more accurately than Oswald. 16 shots, 16 hits on a moving target the size of a melon. But CTers will still be saying ‘no one else has ever done that’ 100 years from now.

Oswald was trained to hit targets at 200, 300 and 500 yards. When he passed his initial firing tests in 1956, he scored higher than most recruits who passed. And he did so on his first attempt. Most recruits were rated Marksman, the lowest rating. Oswald was rated Sharpshooter, the next highest. In his retest three years later, he still qualified as Marksman on his first attempt, which is what most Marines did in the 1950’s.

The Carcano rifle was perfectly adequate up to 218 yards. The best in the world? No. But perfectly adequate.
Stop making stuff up. And BTW I was being fictitious but you are so glued to the lie you don't know the difference. Read this page [but you probably won't] ----
http://michaelgriffith1.tripod.com/poor.htm

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »

Offline Joffrey van de Wiel

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 12:41:48 AM »
Stop making stuff up. And BTW I was being fictitious but you are so glued to the lie you don't know the difference. Read this page [but you probably won't] ----
http://michaelgriffith1.tripod.com/poor.htm

Perhaps he won't but I did. Thanks for posting the link to an interesting article. I think what should be added to the paragraph titled "A Valid "Oswald" Rifle Test" is:

* Before firing, the rifle must be disassembled, carried around in a bag for a bit and then reassembled with a dime.

* The scope must be misaligned so that all shots land above and to the right of the target in the cross-hairs.

Offline Joe Elliott

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 11:51:06 PM »

Perhaps he won't but I did. Thanks for posting the link to an interesting article. I think what should be added to the paragraph titled "A Valid "Oswald" Rifle Test" is:

* Before firing, the rifle must be disassembled, carried around in a bag for a bit and then reassembled with a dime.

* The scope must be misaligned so that all shots land above and to the right of the target in the cross-hairs.

I would have a few extra requirements.

•   Someone who passed Marine requirements within the last 10 years.
•   Someone who has not practiced with any firearm in the last 3 years, except for the following.
•   Someone who is allowed to practice with the Carcano they will ultimately be tested with. They can practice working the bolt for several hours, but only get 15 practice shots at a stationary target, like a cardboard box. Then wait at least 3 months after last touching the rifle.
•   Have the scope misaligned, but the iron sights available for use.
•   Assemble the rifle by tightening the 4 screws with a dime.
•   They can adjust a homemade sling to fit them, as Oswald had available to help steady the aim.
•   Fire 3 shots at a moving target with the same speed and angles as Dealey Plaza.

Do this with 10 people, each who get one try at the moving target.

If an armored car with GPS guidance is not available, to replicate the speeds and direction of the vehicle, maybe a couple of carts pulled by a cable would do. One such cart won’t do, because it won’t be able to turn to the left, as the limousine did between z160 and z230.

I would guess that a few of them could get one hit within 4 inches of the center of the target, and another within 10 inches. But as a LNer, I would be curious to see a proper if elaborate test.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 05:39:36 PM »
“I haven’t committed any acts of violence.”  - LHO

You have to be extremely gullible to buy that tale.

What Oswald actually said was "I don't know what dispatches you people have been given, but I emphatically deny these charges".

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 05:39:36 PM »